Proflex 857 (Re)Build...

SantaCruzBlur

Devout Dirtbag
Having found an Proflex 857 and carbon cross link forks on EGay, for what I thought was a good price. I'm sure some of you will know more about this frame than I ever will.

I'm now in the process of rebuilding it. I'm sure most of you will baulk at my plan, actually, I think everyone will. I just got the frame back from the powder coaters as when I got it, the paint had been stripped off. Its now orange, not red or blue. Sorry.

Now, groupset. its a mixture of 2011/2012 deore/SLX. Sorry. But it still has V-Brakes!

The rest of the components (seat/saddle etc..) are all 2011. Sorry.

If anyone is interrested in this sacralige to a retro bike, I'll pop up some pics.

On the plus side, I have a 1996 GT backwoods with RC36 Forks, and a Proflex 856 Frame... :cool: - Oh, and a Santa Cruz Blur XC (yes, I know, its "modern")

:LOL: :LOL: I don't think that's sacriledge at all - sounds nice!

Too many people get hung up on trying to keep everything period-correct. An old bike can quite often be improved no end, just by sticking some modern kit on it.

Would be nice to see some pics :)

I did look into getting period components but I gave up as I just wanted to build and get out and ride! I'll get some pics up over the next few days.

:cool:

SantaCruzBlur":waqcr4dx said:
I did look into getting period components but I gave up as I just wanted to build and get out and ride!
:cool:

nowt wrong with that fella. at least its being ridden! :)
pic please :)

Some Pics...

right ho...

ok, few pics, not 100% built yet - just need to put some decals on it!

Spec

*Original 857 frame with carbon cross link forks
*Woodman Cartridge Headset
*Bontrager stem
*Bontrager Risers
*Easton EA30 Seatpost
*WTB Speed saddle
*2011 Shimano Deore Chainset
*2011 Shimano Deore 10 speed Rear Mech
*2011 Shimano Deore Front Mech
*2011 Shimano Deore V-Brakes and levers
*2011 Shimano 10 Speed SLX shifters