NE&YORKS Noggin and Natter

Thanks Jamie. :cool:

Interesting that they went from east to west. Its usually done west to east. A couple of reasons why we went west to east....

1, The big climbs are in the Lakes and its good to get them out of the way on fresh legs. The Lakes are beautiful too and its good motivation at the start of an epic journey.
2, Once you have got the Pennines out of the way you have an easy spin over the vale towards the NYM to recharge your legs.
3, most importantly, you tend to get the weather at your backs.
4, the best bits of the NYMoors are downhill when you go W to E and its always nice to finish on home turf.

I'd love to have another crack at this route. Any takers? August or september next year?

Si

Thats cheating plus you need determination to see it through.

I tried the West Highland Way, soon realised I wasn't fit enough and thus decided to do it in sections whenever I had the spare time. Only managed Milngavie to Drymen in nearly 20 years :oops:

velomaniac":285ct7dm said:
Thats cheating plus you need determination to see it through.

I tried the West Highland Way, soon realised I wasn't fit enough and thus decided to do it in sections whenever I had the spare time. Only managed Milngavie to Drymen in nearly 20 years :oops:

It would be nice to do it in one go Velo, but I've nothing to prove. I've done CtC before. I just want to enjoy the riding without getting a divorce.

Thats the main problem- time. Never have enough of it. I've a new career, an Alfa and Jensen to restore, a business to sell and a house to build in the next year. Fannying about on a bike for a week ain't going to happen unless its broken up into bite sized chunks.

Si

I'm up for something - though I agree its always nice to complete a route in 1 hit. I can probably get a pass for a 4 / 5 day trip though it depends on cost. that just seems too far though.

Dr S":9uz0z6fj said:
I'd love to have another crack at this route. Any takers? August or september next year?

Si
im volunteering me and vern, we have talked about this for a while but never had the opertunity :cool:
Lee.

Thats something I have always wanted to do too, just ordered Wainrights book in fact.

I'm in the same boat as Si though, family and work would make it nigh on impossible to complete in one go :(

I've done a couple of coast to coasts. The first was the Sustrans C2C route which is a pretty straightforward 130 mile route. We did it in winter 2004 over three days and had snow, ice and limited daylight to contend with. Great ride though. We also had a support vehicle to carry kit between B&Bs.

Also did a longer and harder route in summer 2009. This time we had better weather and daylight conditions, but carried all our kit with us over the four days and about 160 miles. It was tougher due to our choice of route which was predominantly off-road on proper bridleways, rough tracks and mountain passes. We'd booked YHA and B&B accommodation beforehand and kind of made the route up as we went along using maps and some combined local knowledge.

Both times we went west to east which in my opinion is definitely the way to do it.
Well worth finding the time to do it all over consecutive days though, as multi-day touring is such a great experience.

Here's me rolling along the last few miles into Scarborough. 13 litre camelbak and a 3 litre saddle bag. Gives you a good idea of how little you need to carry.
5580_225655665365_823685365_7951599_2367702_n.jpg

Hi, I'm now seriously looking to find out more about the route I've seen called wheelwrights /Tom Locke/ mbr magazine route but I was thinking about 1 hit late April-ish?
I’m liking the bits on the net about “its a bastard” and includes 17,000 feet of ascent. I was also wondering about being really stupid and going east west. If the route splits down into convenient chunks, going this way i was wondering wether you could include a "finish" on Scafell Pike.
Any thoughts?

Back