A tyre observation...........

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, winter is coming.Even in sunny Kent.

So I changed to a pair of S-Works Storm tyres.

Wata mistaka to maka.................

OK, so they were great off road and especially in mud and wet roots.But what a drag, they really made the rides hard work.And on road/tarmac , i struggled to keep up with my mates. The heart rate was up by an average of 10bpm.You could hear the soft compound biting into the tarmac.

I changed the rear for a 1.8 panaracer fire xc pro. Made a big difference.But the front was still saping my strength.

At the week end , I change the front as well.Actually went back to a pair of Nobbly Nics.So much easier,and (so far) no real loss off-road.

But even off road, the S Works Storms were hard work.I suppose the grip comes from the soft compound ,which in turn required more energy (from me) to keep the bike moving.

And another thing,as they were 2bliss ready, they were a complete bastard to get off/on.By far the worst tyre I have ever had the pleasure to fit.Not something you'd want to doing at the roadside with a flat.

The MTB mags never mention this in their reviews, or is it me being a weakling ?

It depends on the rim too, some combos are notorious - but generally UST and tubeless ready are harder overall.

hedgehog":29grjjxb said:
It depends on the rim too, some combos are notorious - but generally UST and tubeless ready are harder overall.

Mavic 717 disc rim.
The Nics/panaracers fall off.No tyre removal tools needed.

Aye, that is an easier combo. My Conti SK go on my DT 4.2 rims very easily, but need a crowbar for the XTR UST!

Put them back on, get riding, you'll find slogging through deep snow no issue at all after pushing those slugs around ;)

Yes, I know it's what I should do,but on teh tarmac, they were real hard work. I suppose a great training aid. I reckon I was burning 15% calories per ride.But it just meant my HR waas higher.So not burning fat, just a good cardio work out.

But, when the winter finally arrives and it's wet, they may have to go back on. Just need a crow bar to get them on the mavics.

There's never a mention of the extra effort needed in the bike mags.Just how good/bad they are in the mud. Maybe i should get the ones that are not so good in the mud on the basis they require less effort.

Anyway, off out in the dark on the Nobbly Nics.

really it shows how much easier modern general purpose tyres are with their reduced rolling resistance and lighter weight.

Mud tyres just takes you back to the good old days of retro tyres with their larger nobbles and heavier weight and and sweet sweet noise on tarmac

Could be that. The velocraptors on teh karakoram are hard work and useless off road.So at least modern tyres give grip off road,albeit at a cost

FluffyChicken":213lua8w said:

Mud tyres just takes you back to the good old days of retro tyres with their larger nobbles and heavier weight and and sweet sweet noise on tarmac
So you haven't tried Bonedragger Mud Xs? ;)

Back