1990 Koga-Miyata FullPro

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
A couple pics of my 1990 FullPro. The bike is exactly like how I collected it. The Koga has not seen many miles with me yet, but it sure is a great ride.

Full Dura-Ace is standard equipment for a '90 FullPro, however the initial owner for some kind of reason converted the drivetrain to 6 speed friction mode setup i.c.w. Ultegra 600 rear mech.

The Tulip computers pro team raced with the same frame.

6340632425_7f834d1ea1_b.jpg

6341377334_d8ae7fd13e_z.jpg

6341378162_1c3a6d9e53_z.jpg

Thank you.

What the picture does not show really well is that both fork and stays are half chrome.

Under the toptube there is a fitting for a race number. The FullPro was one of the two steel offerings in the 1990 professional line. The line up also included a titanium and a carbon bike.

1990 Koga catalogue

Today I pulled below FullPro out its box. This FullPro is 9 years earlier. It is from 1981. The bike originally belonged to girl who used it to pedal to her boyfriend a couple of times. The relation ended and the bike didn't see use anymore. I got hands on it three years ago. Initially I had it parked in the living room and enjoyed looking at it, but after a while I stored it away covered with a thick layer silicone spray. I never rode it, as it is too small. It is a 57DD, where DD denotes Dyna-Drive. Dyna-Drive is Shimano's pedal system that allows that your feet are positioned in the center of the virtual pedal axle. As your feet are positioned about 1.5cm lower than on a conventional pedal, Miyata corrected the frame for use with DD pedals. Hence it has the length of a conventional 57 frame, but it is a bit lower.

The 1981 FullPro is a full Dura-Ace EX bike. It has features like the light aluminium headset with weird shape nuts and also rear mech with hatch plate design (no need to break the chain). Not pictured is the cockpit consisting of Cinelli 1A stem, Campione del Mondo bars and yellow Pelten tape. This is a bit Italian flair that was not original equipment.

6350991080_69d040d940_b.jpg

Glimpse of frame detailing >>>

6350249549_7461e110f8_z.jpg

Tange Champion, investment cast seatlug >>>

6350247753_3f4aaa6a8b_z.jpg

Serial starting with 'I' tells us the frame was built in 1980 >>>

6350250333_a12b791a29_z.jpg

I found this 1981 Koga price list on the website radklassiker.org >>>

FullPro1981.jpg

The FullPro set you back DM 2895 in Germany. Above it sat one model: the FullPro-L. "price available on request" according to price list.

The FullPros were the European counterpart of the Team Miyata in the US. While ago I posted a link to a multitest with several Italian and Japanese bikes, with among them a Team Miyata >>>

Italy vs Japan

Damn you !!!! ha! love the Kogas , batavus, fongers, duell...... etc
Really enjoy your collection.....

Thanks for sharing

Elev12k":3uel5wdh said:
Not pictured is the cockpit consisting of Cinelli 1A stem, Campione del Mondo bars and yellow Pelten tape. This is a bit Italian flair that was not original equipment.
Really nice bike you got there Melvin! Maybe a Cinelli stem and bars was not original on the production models, but in the competion of the Capri Sonne team most riders drove with them in 1980 and 1981.. But the yelow outer casing of the cable is not done!

Such fantastic detailing on these Mel. Just oozes quality! Interesting to see the differences between the '81 and '90 bike. Not too many differences really- I imagine a Miyata made another 9 years later would be very different.

But actually I'm wrong! A quick Google search brings...

Thanks for the kind words Tom. On the differences I can say that I think both bikes share Shimano SF dropouts, but apart from that no tube, lug or other frame part is the same. Moreover the crown is aero, the brake cable is internal etc. Of course take into account the roadscene used to be more traditional back than. They are both lugged steel bikes and the 1990 model is an evolution and no revolution.

On the FullPro Oval under the link I can say it falls not within the scope of my collection. It isn't Miyata Japan made. It looks a bit like the Max tubing Miyata built in the early-mid 90s. That one certainly falls within the scope of my collection :) Don't have that one yet.

Back