PoTM November 2011 - 'Nocturnal' - POLL

Who's the 'Darkest' Photographer of them all?

• bmx4130crmo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • jamabikes

• .jan

• Jussa

• landsbee

• lewis1641

• mikee

• oneschnark

• Radoslaw

• Shamus

• Sizzle-Chest

• stefan9113

• the beaver

• wtb_rider

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, that's fantastic, Jussa!!! I also had a hard time deciding which one to choose. Here's a couple of my rejects. I would like to see some other night shots if people have them!

-3.jpg

-2.jpg

-4.jpg

Quite impressed by those pics!! Very hard to choose, but finally have voted for Lewis1641. Wish I knew how to take those pics, thanks guys!

trip":2auqrdta said:
Quite impressed by those pics!! Very hard to choose, but finally have voted for Lewis1641. Wish I knew how to take those pics, thanks guys!

maybee some of those great photographers can tells us their secrets...

thanks for the votes chaps.

my picture was taken it the pitch black (to tghe point a passing motorist thought i was a dog that had been run over by a car! - she coulnt see the bike or camera at all.

i set the camera up for a long exposure (shutter is open longer than usual so to allow more light to enter the camera).
with a long exposure the camera needs to be steady so i used a tripod.

i used manual focus as it was so dark the camera wouldnt focus.

the shutter had a delay too.

press the shutter, ran to the bike then shined a torch along the tubes, illuminating the bike quite well.

that left a ghostlike image of me alongside my bike but i was far enough away from it to allow me to crop that out.

the sky was more luck than judgement!

my camera is a nikon d40 - it is a dslr one but as far as i know the cheapest one you can buy

Long exposure (very slow shutter speed) is the key, including my photo. I've shoot in my case @ 1min opened shutter and quite high ISO (800) because was so darn dark plus f9 aperture to get focused on everything and keep good depth in field. I haven't had tripod, just put down camera on ground and let her work while lying in my tent ;)

Rio":1k6yru51 said:
trip":1k6yru51 said:

maybee some of those great photographers can tells us their secrets...

Some good shots, mine was set on a 15 Second exposure, Tripod mount, hardest part was navigating the woods to stop after the flash operated, all my night vision went and purple spots was all i could see lol, the light trail is from a cateye front light unit, good fun, looking forward to more photo-competitions.

Its also nice that whilst a pristine retroride does photo well in BOTM, this one does give the opportunity for us to have bit of fun in the mix :)

Great work and great photos :)

I set a long exposure with a 10 second delay, low ISO and high f stop. I turned my bike lights on and when the camera flashed, I slowly walked the bike backwards and out of the shot, letting the camera capture the city.

Back