Ben Nevis circuit - 26th November - Brrrrrrr

I have been pondering this velo and I agree with DHDave- going for the voodoo, has a bit of bounce and some nice gears and a more upright position (as well as not being to heavy- as I suspect ther might be some pushing involved :LOL: )

Tazio":2o4jkrqx said:
velomaniac":2o4jkrqx said:
Recommend me a bike, DaveDH thinks I'm mad but if we do go for it he reckons hardtail, plenty of gears, comfy saddle. I think he might be right :?

If the snow is down then I think the most important choice will be tyres.

I'll be using tyres even if there isn't snow.

I'm leaving my suspension on for this ride, and padding the seat corner for shouldering the bike.

Gritters are out tonight :twisted:

High point of route, a mile or so after river crossing, is not far short of 2,000ft :twisted:
This will be The Walky Bit, approx 1,000ft of hauling up a SW facing slope after a good drenching - possibly similar to Therealkw's "Hill of Worrying Exposure"

Fleecy pants and w/proofs may be an idea if weather looks sh!t

:p

According to DaveDH and the OS map you can follow the river around the hill instead of slogging up and over it after the crossing. Admittedly it adds distance but means riding as opposed to carrying is possible :?

Settled on my late 90's Claudhopper (CB Spirit) as its a vee braked 24 speed hardtail and a new cassette and chain are hopefully winging their way from CRC so my gears might actually work well......ish :LOL:

DaveDH also recommends not sleeping in the top bunk in the bunkhouse if you've got vertigo or move around in bed too much. Top bunks 6-7 feet off the stone floor and there is no guard rail.....aaaarrrrggggg thud whimper....

Niet - different river, different hill, different route - possibly even a different map...... :p The river must be crossed. ;)

Jamie now has "bunk 15" :shock:

velomaniac said:
According to DaveDH and the OS map you can follow the river around the hill instead of slogging up and over it after the crossing. Admittedly it adds distance but means riding as opposed to carrying is possible :?

quote]

Strange, DaveDH said he looked at the map/route you posted Mr P and I did say the possible diversion was after the river crossing, I never said we dont cross it :?

I've now looked at the map and a path definitely goes east on the north side of the river that runs right around the base of the hill we're going over before reaching the same point as the over hill route. I'm not saying its faster or better, just that its there if we need it ;)

suppose the good thing about a barstward of a hill is we get to go down the other side :D and I get to call Mr P a c@nt alot on the way up- win win :twisted:

Back