A Steal!

Interesting that many modern carbon frames have lifetime warranties. The technology has definitely matured. And they don't weigh like an anvil...

hedgehog":1knqdz2k said:
Interesting that many modern carbon frames have lifetime warranties. The technology has definitely matured. And they don't weigh like an anvil...

The warranty is for the lifetime of the frame not the owner. The manufacturer will decide the lifetime of the frame is x years. It will fail on day x+1.

You need to read the small print of course, but Cannondale offer for the life of the original owner.

Cannondale frames (except frames for Freeride, and Dirt Jumping bikes, see below) are warranted by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, 16 Trowbridge Drive, Bethel, CT 06801 against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

As does Trek.

hedgehog":2jru91e7 said:

Yeah, but why let facts get in the way.

hedgehog":3kjddjka said:
You need to read the small print of course, but Cannondale offer for the life of the original owner.

Question : how do they know if te original owner is still alive?

Joking aside, a friend of mine was denied warranty because a weld let go on the frame of a bike he bought 10 years ago. First owner and all that. Basically the "life" of a frame ends if it develops a problem after more than 5 years.

And to get back on my original comment, carbon frames don't have a high life expectancy. Manufacturers can give lifetime warranty to the original owner because these bikes are a fashion thing.
People who buy a new one, will most likely sell it a few years later to buy the latest new version. Only very occasionally will someone hold on to such a bike for more than 5 years.

Yeah, some can try and get out of what they say, but a warranty is a legal contract: I would imagine if threatened with the small claims court they would cough up.

Seen all sorts of other tactics to get out of their obligations, even for more standard warranties. Usually they give in once you start threatening them (provided you have a solid claim!)

jamabikes":1tzbpgfc said:
some manufacturers give carbon frames a lifetime of 2 years.

No, some manufacturers give carbon frames a warranty of two years.

I seem to remember back in the good old days, lightweight 'metal' frames and some aluminium bars with manufacturers advisorys of 'one seasons use' or ride at your peril attached to them too.

Russell":8byldbd9 said:
jamabikes":8byldbd9 said:
some manufacturers give carbon frames a lifetime of 2 years.

No, some manufacturers give carbon frames a warranty of two years.

I seem to remember back in the good old days, lightweight 'metal' frames and some aluminium bars with manufacturers advisorys of 'one seasons use' or ride at your peril attached to them too.

Very true, and they flexed like a Russian gymnast.

Latest posts

Back