Tour of Pen Y Ghent

mr_ship

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
This should probably be in't Yorkshire section as a) it's a Yorkshire route and b) I'm originally from Yorkshire. But hey, I don't live there any more.

I'm sure plenty of you have done this route. It was the first one I did in 1990 when I got my Trek 7000 from York Cycleworks and a copy of Jeremy Ashcrofts route guide to the Dales/Lakes :LOL: Not done it for 10+ years and wanted to stretch the old legs. Straight into a 40mph headwind and very low cloud over Foxup Moor, which is now a lot better than I remember although still a bogfest over the far side. Nice quiet road section followed by a bit of a climb up Dawson Close which is then a nice grassy bimble. Great downhill into Helwith Bridge to finish.

A few pics :D
P1020645.jpg

P1020644.jpg

P1020646.jpg

P1020647.jpg

P1020650.jpg

P1020651.jpg

P1020652.jpg

I rode that route about 3 or 4 years ago. The bog trotting across Foxup Moor got a bit much after the first couple of miles.
Great scenery though.

One of the current magazines has this marked up as an 'easy' route.
More proof that they don't actually ride them beforehand...

orange71":23080ssz said:
how was the knee deep bog round the back? That's all I remember about the route :LOL:

Still knee deep :LOL: Enough to send me over the bars on one occasion.

Wouldn't call it easy either Paul, 19 miles and 2000 ft of climbing...more like moderate. Took me about 3 hours.
First half over Foxup is decent track but after that it's messy!!

"Foxup"
*snigger*

:roll:
Hope the Goat is well tethered in that first pic :shock: Looks like a quality day out, cheers for sharing the pics! :cool:

Me and a mate managed to do this ride a few weeks back. We followed an MBR route map which was pretty vague and lost the track for a good hour , but at least we didn't get swallowed up by Hull pot! Apologies about the modern machines ...i know , very naughty of me!

p1-1.jpg

p3.jpg

p2-1.jpg

p4.jpg

Back