Has anyone got experience of shipping from the States?

deelam

Retro Guru
Does anyone know how long a bike takes to clear customs and how is the VAT paid? I won a bike (another Kona :D ) off ebay.com, it was shipped 2 weeks ago and the seller quoted 8-10 working days. How long extra will I have to wait? I'm really impatient!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
customs usually hold onto it for a while, but overall it can take up to 5 weeks to get to you, mine took about that, jez's trimble about the same I think.

You will pay the VAT when you go to pick the bike up from parcelfarce, oh yeah - and parcelfarce will add an handling fee on too cos they want a cut too :evil:

I would expect about 5 weeks. I've had some quicker but always expect longer.

You will be contacted by either the airport baggage handling or Parcelforce/courier.

With parcel force I have had to pay over the phone with my credit card before they released it. I have also had to pay the airpiort cutsoms department over the phone in another instance and once the courier just turned up with the bike and asked for a cheque there and then.

Don't worry about hwo to pay, they will get the money one way or another, and like Retrobikeguy says, usaually with a bit extra for all their hard work [sic] :evil:

Thanks guys, I just had the letter from parcelfarce today - had to pay the vat over the phone before they deliver tomorrow, strange but there is no handling fee! 13 days from sending - pretty good!!!
Did cost £79 though :evil:

Because they can - we British just moan and then cough up every time!
Honest answer, I don't know why, it is totally wrong!

deelam":1v4ckqel said:
Because they can - we British just moan and then cough up every time!
Honest answer, I don't know why, it is totally wrong!

Dont care I am not british , I just go on strike and block every ports and roads .

Back