Kona Lava Dome 1996

First proper shake down ride today- curve brakes were pretty pants and the sniff on the front was a bit waaaaaay and a bit woooooo but overall a great run out on a cool bike.

2011-11-06120347.jpg

2011-11-06120421.jpg

2011-11-06113618.jpg

2011-11-06113605.jpg

Beautiful bike and great pics, Gaz.

I worked in a Kona dealer in 1996 and remember the Lava D being "Orange Lava", with the Curve brake levers and SRT400 Gripshifts. How come yours is green with LXers? :?
That's almost like '97 green with 96 decals!

The only "mid-season" changes Kona made in 96 was changing the (pretty poor) Curve brakeset for Avid SD1s. All the 96 'Domes we saw in the UK were orange. :)

Very nice Gazz, lovely bike and great pics, I have a real liking for Kona's since getting my 1st recently.

Think you are spot on with the year, prob a 96/97 crossover, and not sire if you coyld upgrade/change the shifters to lx as an option bitd

Thanks for the nice comments, do really like her albeit s slightly shorter stem might fit me a wee bit better.

I always found the curve cantis next to useless, and an absolute PITA to set up. Swapped mine out for Magura HS22's as at the time XT V's were selling before they hit the shelves.

If you ever consider selling, and I very much doubt you would, please let me know.

That is a realy great bike in a perfect condition!
I hope you enjoy it very much.

Personally I have never had any problems with the Curve brake combo on my bike, maybe it is because I didn't know how V's would brake.

I thought I had the curves set up rather well, indeed the front would have sent me over the bars but after one 2 hr ride found the rear to go a bit mushy and the front to have lost some of it's power, will fettle before condeming them but they do look a bit flimsy and an old mate of mine had a kona back in the day and he binned the curve stuff almost immediatly albeit for v's and lets face it, we all did that did we not?

Back