Following on from the frame thread Ti v 853 why

The 853 model is built with an eye to strength rather than lightweight.

Do you really sweat THAT much that it gets all over your frame?????

Holy smoke. :)

Steel has so many grades or steps on the ladder. I've mainly lived near the bottom rungs but I aspire to nicer and nicer tubes. Graduating up the steel ladder is quite pleasing like attaining promotions.
Getting a Titanium machine feels like jumping straight to the top floor like in a graduate recruitment program, flashy, overconfident. As Titanium seems to be the flashy tubeset but with flaws and expense why would you want to go there.
Nope I'm for clawing my way up the Reynolds tree although some of the other trees in the steel pipe forest look worth a climb to :D

Ti: Raw metal industrial finish that doesn't complain when the owner can't be bothered to pamper it and maintain it. You did ask. :D

Do you really sweat THAT much that it gets all over your frame?????

Afraid so - corroded the cable stops on my Prince Albert frame, front mechs & chainwheels have suffered too, literally pours off me head it does :oops:

Worth noting that ALL the grades of steel we see on bikes are of the same stiffness. The tensile strength is what changes. This allows thinner tubes.

So again, the actual frame stiffness is due to the profiles. 853 does not ride any better than hitensile steel if the tubes are the same proportions. But they are usually a lot thinner ;-).

Back