1983 Raleigh Corsa Racing Bike

Not 1983.

Nice, but not 1983.

See my 1984 Corsa in Reader's Bikes, it was bought new by me in Oyster (Pearl White), the team colour one was after mine - 1985 on.

Rare bike though in that condition.

I don't think the Corsa existed before 1984.

Roadking.

Re: Not 1983.

roadking":1ni5cbjs said:
Nice, but not 1983.

See my 1984 Corsa in Reader's Bikes, it was bought new by me in Oyster (Pearl White), the team colour one was after mine - 1985 on.

Rare bike though in that condition.

I don't think the Corsa existed before 1984.

Roadking.

Hi Roadking, thanks for the info....its actually mine! I have ammended the ad. To be honest I don't know much about road bikes, I'm a mtber at heart. I was told beforehand it was an 83 but you seen to know more than the chap I bought it from!

Corsa.

As mentioned I bought my 1984 Corsa new (in the summer of 1984 - during my second year uni vacation).

A pal of mine bought a Corsa identical to yours in 1985, the year the team colours were introduced - I believe both my 84 and your 85 were only one-year models.

Certainly the 1984 in Oyster was for one year only.

Is yours (like mine 501) throughout?

Unfortunately the pal never kept his.

Cheers, Rk.

Re: Corsa.

roadking":3sb05n59 said:
As mentioned I bought my 1984 Corsa new (in the summer of 1984 - during my second year uni vacation).

A pal of mne bought a Corsa identical to yours in 1985, the year the team colours were introduced - I believe both my 84 and your 85 were only one-year models.

Certainly the 1984 in Oyster was for one year only.

Is yours (like mine 501) throughout?

Not researched this but just"remember"!

Cheers, Rk.

It is all 501 for sure. I would keep it but needs must :(

Good luck with the sale, and your trip to Oz.

Went last year for six weeks - visiting relatives in Melbourne and an aunt who owns a station (farm) out west - 1000 miles from Perth; her local town!

Rk.

Sorry to hijack thread but I have just picked up a Corsa. I have a couple of questions.
How do you tell if the frame is 501 throughout? What groupset would of been fitted originally? I need a new freewheel, should it be 10 or 12 speed? And what ratios?

adscan":3mkji2l1 said:
Sorry to hijack thread but I have just picked up a Corsa. I have a couple of questions.
How do you tell if the frame is 501 throughout? What groupset would of been fitted originally? I need a new freewheel, should it be 10 or 12 speed? And what ratios?

Well, you don't say whether you have a bike or a frame...if the bike is original then the 501 sticker is the giveaway (it'll state maintubes, forks and stays) - I belive later Corsas only had 501 maintubes and forks.

Most bikes of this period have 6 speed freewheels, the Corsa is no exception (originally a Shimano cassette 13-24), with a Shimano 105 groupset.

Photos would be useful if you want more info.

Roadking.

Sorry here are some pics.
It is complete. Although the rims are mavic MA 2 which I don't think are original. The freewheel is 5 speed which I also think is wrong. Sould this be 6 speed? How can I find out when this bike was made?

I am thinking of putting an indexed shimano 105 groupset on the frame to make it a more modern ride.

e23ee809.jpg

f243bfea.jpg

Re my previous post, freewheel should be six speed, originally it would have had a Shimano 105"arabesque"groupset.

Rims would have been Weinmanns.

It would have been made in 1985. The Corsa, as far as I know, did not make it in Raleigh's lineup for 1986, and mine (the Oyster one) was the 1984 model.

My 84 has chrome-faced dropouts; I don't think the 85 has these - am I right?

I do however have an orignal brochure for this 1985 version.

Rk.

Back