1998 Santa Cruz Tazmon

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Well,ive finally got a full suspension frame :D though im a long way yet from getting it to riding condition :(
I think you'll all agree that the seller is a twat of the highest order for sending it parcelfarce 48 in bubblewrap only,no box and it was 20 quid for that privilege [and had the audacity to claim it cost MORE than 20 to send]
Ive given it a good going over and can see no damage so i think we've got away with it
Overall i think ive done quite well in that the condition of the tubing is really not bad at all :D There are a number of scratches and scrapes of course but there is none of the heavy pitting around the wheel areas,behind the seat tube and under the bottom bracket area etc so that i think shows its had quite an easy life.
I just given it a going over with a cloth and autosol but TBH it was pretty shiny for the most part so it took less than an hour.

Im just waiting to hear about what pressure to run the shock at because at the moment its empty of air[still got its fluid]and id like to pump it up to see if it holds air ok or whether it needs to go for a service.
Once ive sorted out if the shock works or not ill strip the frame apart and clean the oxide off the pivot fittings/bar etc maybe give the back triangle a T-cutting and get the autosol into the nooks and crannies not visible with the rear triangle in place.

Build-
As you can see ive already fitted a hope disc mount,this is for a pair of red bulbs at the mo laced to a red 517 on the front and a nos citron 317 on the rear,im intending to swop the rear rim to a matching red 517
Just have to find one first :(
I was thinking a 1x8 set up with my AC cranks and a single ring with an m739 mech.Brakes are to be C2's on pro levers front and rear,kore stem,clubroost risers.Other bits still to be bought
Forks-
Im waiting for a set of marzocchi Jr T's to arrive this week but its a triple and this is an XC not a DH FR so i'm hoping to swop them for something more appropriate like a Z1 or long travel judy,prefer a z1 but we'll see whats available for swopping :) ;)

I'll leave it at that for now and add as i decide how things will go :?

Oh yeah -The frame number is 977000059
I think that could mean july'97 though the seller stated in the poo discription it was a '98, so maybe its last seasons reduced stock or something :? .
Anyone make light of what the numbers mean ? :?
I hope its only frame build no59 that would be cool :D

Attachments

• Santa Cruz Tazmon 001 (Large).JPG
    Santa Cruz Tazmon 001 (Large).JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 5,825
  • santacruz tazmon 001 (Large).JPG
    santacruz tazmon 001 (Large).JPG
    147 KB · Views: 5,825
That is a bit shabby to send it just bubble wrapped, but I'm glad it's survived unscathed.
You must really like it though, non of my bikes are allowed on the sofa.

NAILTRAIL96":2ucco9m5 said:

My Mother visited once and asked what the marks on the living room carpet were.
Oh those,thats hydraulic fluid mum :LOL:
well its nice to bleed your brakes infront of the telly and fire :D

There are people on here forced to go outside :shock:

I think I run my shock at about 160psi, but can't remember off hand.

It may be frame 59 of 1997, my frame is something like 366 in 1996.

I've pumped air in at 160 and it still feels very squishy,i think a service is needed.
Ive done a mock up using the wrong forks which are sitting too far out due to no headset and the rear rim is being replaced.

Now dont be sick :shock:

Attachments

• Santa Cruz Tazmon 002 (Large).JPG
    Santa Cruz Tazmon 002 (Large).JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 5,756
dyna-ti":20op2q57 said:
NAILTRAIL96":20op2q57 said:

My Mother visited once and asked what the marks on the living room carpet were.
Oh those,thats hydraulic fluid mum :LOL:
well its nice to bleed your brakes infront of the telly and fire :D

There are people on here forced to go outside :shock:
:LOL:
It is nice to work indoors, I tend to go out when i'm riding though.

So what is the travel on these then? Cant remember them too well, only the heckler, which I love.

My memory isnt great though!

Oh, and that is crap packaging. I thought some of my recent arrivals were poorly done!

Forgot to say, mine is at 160 and I weigh just over 11 stone, but i've used that pressure for years and its a bit low now the middle aged spread has started! Recommended pressure is 20psi over your weight in pounds.

Link below is to a useful post/thread on MTBR:
http://forums.mtbr.com/2295533-post28.html

dyna-ti":71xo3j06 said:
I've pumped air in at 160 and it still feels very squishy,i think a service is needed.
Ive done a mock up using the wrong forks which are sitting too far out due to no headset and the rear rim is being replaced.

Now dont be sick :shock:

Being doubly thick here, whats the rocker part of the frame that seems to attach to the body of the shock, what is that there for?

Latest posts

Back