my cassette maybe worn ? replacement ? Now with pics !

I usually change at 1000 to 2000 miles - just use the cheapest SRAM ones I can get. WIll get three to a cassette usually.

Iv'e found after 15 years of doing this shimano and sram cassettes wear at about the same rate relative to model type, you should check your chain every couple of rides as it only takes 2 sec's, as soon as its starting to wear swap it for a new chain there a lot cheaper than a cassette and if you can keep on top of it it also saves chainrings as well. Have you checked your chainrings after 4000/5000 miles theres a good chance youv'e blitzed them too if you never changed your chain. And dont get me started on hope freehub body's there's bugger all that dosn't damage them only way round it is a steel freehub body from them when your's is finally chewed up.

I change my chain fairly regularly and rotate between 2 chains. However got a bit slack this year as not enough time to keep up with maintenance....for some reason. :roll:
Chainset is 18 months old, so not so much mileage on that. Hopefully that is ok, but will definitely check the middle ring as that is used the most.

My ti chain is good for 6000-8000 km and self lubricating as i only ride in the summer this will last me a good few years

Ok, on closer inspection I think cassette is worn, particularly on 2nd and 3rd smallest sprockets. Most of the other seem ok, but unfortuantely can't replace just some ! Have replacement on order.

Attachments

• P1010740.JPG
    P1010740.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 349
Hmm its harder to tell with the cassettes, the smaller cogs normally come new as a slightly different shape which kind of looks worn when new.

I think your right though.

SO, my next question is are my chairings too worn ? Inner looks in really good condition to me. Outer seems ok. I'm finding it hard to determine if the middle is ok or not. What do you think ?

Oh, and its this shiny as I just degreased it !

By the way, chainset has been used for about 18 months, possibly 2 years. I bought it as end of line deal at a good price, and it then sat on my shelf for a while until my Truvativ bottom bracket started to sound gritty and the shifting started to go down hill on the old cranks.

Attachments

• P1010741.JPG
    P1010741.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 343
Inner looks ok. Id say the middle and outer, youd be pushing your luck using them with a new setup.

Others' opinions may vary though.

Back