Skibiking meeting and test day

I made a start building the ski bike today, going to be built at minimum cost....

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

Need to stack up the trucks a bit on the ski's but it is starting to take shape, going to use bmx stunt pegs bolted to the BB axle for foot rests.
Still need to work out how to make the skis swivel freely, thinking a bracket at each side using a bike axle and the disc brake mounts to attach to the frame with the skate truck hanging freely from that. Don't want the block of wood home made look you see on some. Might need a narrower truck for the front but trying to only butcher 1 skate board for now :)

Well done that man

Well done, keep the momentum going. At least you know that frame will work, I've had something like 8 weeks on the East Peak without issues. Those cut down skis will want to skid and not carve, which isn't too much of an issue when you start and can make for a lot of sideways fun. The skis need to pivot a bit, but not as much as you might think, just make sure the rear is stopped from submarining.
There's a really buzzing FaceBook Group here http://www.facebook.com/groups/6592654004/ if you need some further inspiration.

You mind and tell us all when its going to be put to the test TK ;) .I'd love to watch....and probably laugh when you fall off :LOL: :LOL:

Baggsie a shot :D

what do you mean by submarining purley? I was just going to use thin bushings to allow for swivel on the back but spotted this on the facebook page.... http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6132843/
This guy doesn't seem to have any swivel at all - I can see on the front that that should be fine because the travel is linear but the back I thought would need to swivel as it will travel in an arc.

Submarining Explained

The Ken, when you ride on soft un-preppared snow, the rear ski will tend to tip down at the front, eventually jacking up the rear suspension and digging in. I call this submarining; it works the same way when you ski off piste and shift your weight back on your feet to compensate.
All that is required is a link from the ski tip to a point on the frame near the bottom bracket. Some DIY builders use a bungee cord, I used some galvanised chain, mainly because I had plenty in stock.

Back