Plymouth ride 13th nov - & Aftermath!

You know you guys are gonna have to work out the actual distance on that one!

Firstly, MANY thanks to Josh for lending me a bike to go out on for the day (AKA: The Orange Beast). I think I now have the confidence to take the hybrid out next time without 'too much' fear of damaging it.

Thanks to everyone that turned up, was gruelling but good first ride out onto the moors. I've never done anything like that before so was a really good experience.

What speed you reckon that head wind was at times?

Terribly sorry for being a slow coach, but il get myself fitter :oops: anyways was tough but i enjoyed it il ache tomorrow tho :LOL: i reckon the wind was between 20-40 somewhere possibly, it was enough to blow me off track alot !!!!was good to meet you all though, good bunch :D

I just plotted the route out. Was at least 18.88 miles. I got a little lost on one section between where we went onto the REALLY muddy trail near the end with slate on the downhill and the exit to that at newnham park. Should have taken a GPS unit to map the route :) I got most of it though.

I think this is the route: http://www.runningmap.com/?id=331065

Also, I'm not sure how quite how we got from the breif section on the road after we came down that REALLY rocky bit from the moor, then the fast smooth fire road... and it's the bit once we cross the road and reach the top of the hill I'm a little uncertain of, to get to the final downhill section where we entered the car park at the top of newham by the cattle bit for another road section (The bit between mile 11 and mile 13 in the link)

Thanks for organizing the ride gents I think my knees will remember it for at least a week, getting the ice pack ready for another session before i hit the sack :roll: .
The wind and soggy conditions certainly made it a bit more challenging but a cracking ride and I am hoping I will be able to make holden hill :?
A great range of mostly old very tidy iron on display reminded me of the bike mags I used to drool over in the 80's and 90's. Its good that you all put the time and effort in to rebuilding the bikes to such high standards and are still prepared to use them for there intended purpose and not leave them as hanger Queens.
On another tack I will post my Hirame framed bike in the relevant section sometime in the week in pre restoration state for your views on how I should refinish the frame. do I try and emulate the original colour which I was never very keen on or do I go for an 80's english style of finish? I intend to re-do the original tranfers, I will put a link in here when its up your views will be appreciated.
cheers again for a great day
Phil

Good ride :D being blown sideways, across muddy tracks, near the edge of a steep quarry added to the excitement factor!

Apologies for holding up the start of the ride with my skipping rear cog, and a massive thanks to tiboltrider for having the foresight to pack a chainwhip and freewheel tool. In future I shall ALWAYS give my bike a test ride before leaving home :oops:

I just hosed down the Yeti, and I'm proper happy with how it rode today. Bring on the December ride - we've got some trail-type treats lined up for y'all.

Good, testing, ride, 4.5 hours out there to cover 19 miles! Thanks for leading Paul.
Here's a few pics.
Btw - I like the idea of a one-make ride sometime (provided its Kona, Diamond Back, Saracen, GT, Marin or Orange - otherwise I can't play)

Yes tiboltrider did go under the unexpected new gate, didn't quite capture it on film.

Attachments

• PB130010.JPG
    PB130010.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 473
  • PB130012.JPG
    PB130012.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 473
  • PB130014.JPG
    PB130014.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 473
  • PB130015.JPG
    PB130015.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 473
more pics of the windy moor... That hole in the ground was very welcome.

Right, coffee then I'll tackle the bike & kit cleaning. It's the filthiest that bike has been for a while.

Looking fwd to Haldon next month already.
How about riding the blue route 1st (takes just over an hour) then a coffee & cake stop before riding the red?
Bike jumble & more cake after?

Attachments

• PB130017.JPG
    PB130017.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 472
  • PB130018.JPG
    PB130018.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 472
  • PB130019.JPG
    PB130019.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 472
  • PB130020.JPG
    PB130020.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 472
Missing the pics aren't you? (Ignore: I wasn't signed in!)

EDIT: WHERE'S THE PICTURES OF ALL THE MUD :shock: :p lol. Makes the ride look easy going with those pictures lol.

Back