Best 'retro' magazine

MBUK RULES OK (as my T-shirt used to say)

It gotta be early MBUK...I first bought the mag in 1988 that was Vol. 1 Issue no 3, so if it was say quarterly or bimonthly I'm geussing even the 1st issue came out in '88 also.

MBA also was a fave for the reviews and insight in the U.S. riding places, and the photo's somehow seemed cooler. Infact inspired or prehaps deluded we named the 'gnarliest' descent we could find the MBA (complete with a "Tomac corner") as we considered it a kind of steep muddy / rocky Somerset approximation of what the "Wrecking crew" might consider to be Rad....

Shame I don't have a scanner.

Maybe I'm a tad biased

Depends on where you were and when you were there, but you might get a different answer to that question from anyone I know.

Attachments

• ftfcover.JPG
    ftfcover.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 4,840
I'd have to go with MBA - it had all the coolest kit and the best photos. It still does, I reckon.

"Inside the pro's bikes" was my favourite feature and I as pleased to see they still have it when I started buying the mag again a couple of months back.

Fat Tyre Flyer is certainly the most retro magazine by far :D
When did it run until Repack Rider?

Love the '92-'96 MBAs. Some of them were running at 200 pages.

Mountain Bike from that same period are brilliant too, with a lot more "attitude".

Can't believe nobody has mentioned...

Dirt Rag!

Quirky, honest, and black and white on recycled paper, loved paging through those while things were slow at the shop.

Still going strong, albeit a lot more glossy now.

cheers,

rody

Dirt Rag is the shiznit

Dirt Rag took over the journalistic territory previously occupied by the Fat Tire Flyer. I have contributed to the mag, and when I need to go to the trade show, I join their staff for the day.

Attachments

• dirtrag2.JPG
    dirtrag2.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,651
  • dirtrag1.JPG
    dirtrag1.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,651
MBUK

I started reading MBUK.
MBI used to have the best race/show coverage and pictures.
I though MTB Pro started off pretty good.

Last xmas somebody gave me a load of semi retro (late 90's) mags which I spent a good few weeks reading through. Some nice URT FS bikes! :LOL:

Fluff

Back