NE&YORKS Noggin and Natter

Gil's the man to talk to. He has superb pubs near his house and always gives them his full support. :LOL:

One of my favourites is the New Inn in Cropton. They have a brewary round the back in the old coach house and do several cracking ales from a dark rich bitter to a sweet pale ale. Monksmans slaughter and Blackout being too notable offerings.
They have a very infamous Real Ale Festival every November which i'm thinking of going to this year. I might pester Gil for a spot on his sofa :p

My favourite pub on the moors used to be The Mucky Duck in Newton. Its been gentrified now and has a new name- the White Swan. Its never bloody open now when i go past.

Anyone here done this "Whitehaven - Roker Beach CTC" one of the MacRetro chaps was asking if anyone had.

I think Andy B did it. Drewson did it last year IIRC.

Its pretty crap tbh. Just a slog. Nothing interesting.

In my youth I did coast to coast following as much of Wainrights route as possible from St. Bees to Robin Hoods Bay. There were a few cheeky footpaths used and some of the higher climbs were avoided, but on the whole it was a great challenge. Incidentally we rode on one section last months Klunk (the bit from the gliding club near stokes' cafe to clay bank and up the zig zags onto Urra Moor).
I did it over three long weekends spread over the summer of 88 due to work and other commitments. We slept rough the whole time under tarps which saved money. We ate in pubs and washed in streams. Best way to do long distance touring IMO.

Would love to do it again one day.

I bumped into a chap at a wedding recently; he said, he wrote the Wainwrights route up for MBUK! He also said it was much more interesting and he's going to send the article & maps etc.

toons":1hjwwhkt said:
I bumped into a chap at a wedding recently; he said, he wrote the Wainwrights route up for MBUK! He also said it was much more interesting and he's going to send the article & maps etc.

Toons if the guy sends it to you would you be so kind as to send me a copy.

cheers Vern

kaya":36f8ulzm said:
toons":36f8ulzm said:

Toons if the guy sends it to you would you be so kind as to send me a copy.

cheers Vern
Will do.

Back