Clipless pedals. The Hilarity!

Why do people have such fears of flat pedals/pins :twisted:

I havent hit mine for ages (well i actually i did but only because the bike was in the hallway - that would have hurt with any pedal!).

Flats are fine.

cyfa2809":3pb4bhap said:

I havent hit mine for ages (well i actually i did but only because the bike was in the hallway - that would have hurt with any pedal!).

Flats are fine.

It is a personal thing as is your fear of proper pedals. I would rather have a sexual affair with a cheese grater than risk using flats.

I have never tried 'proper' pedals as flats have always been sufficient for me.

If it aint broke...

Iwasgoodonce":3tugvxp4 said:
cyfa2809":3tugvxp4 said:

Flats are fine.

It is a personal thing as is your fear of proper pedals. I would rather have a sexual affair with a cheese grater than risk using flats.
Maybe people whor ride flats can ride properly and don't need their feet anchored to the pedals to stop them coming off...? [/devil's advocate] ;)

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Flats?! A kind of fish I believe. Keep going with the spd pedals. Everyone falls off 3 or 4 times when learning. Just think of those hideous pins/studs/nasty spikes that they attach to flat pedals smashing into your shins on regular occasions.

I dont think you got my post unless of course you were not talking to me but the original poster :oops:
Either way trying 2 types of spd over a 10 year period in my case I think qualifies as giving the concept a fair go ;)
Plus imagining flat pedals hitting my shins pales into insignificance as I imagine the numerous painful crashes while still attached to my bike :shock:

I'm not having a go or misunderstanding anyone. When people use a "Mad as hell"/"Twisted evil" silly symbol when a few simple words of explanation would suffice, obviously I respond. We are mstly grown up and adult. What's wrong with words?

Im flats all the way now, my knees feel so much better now after 18years of using spds, i think its un clipping that can make your knees ache over time twisting to unclip out the pedals

I will still use spd pedals for racing only now as you can still get better power down for longer with less force :cool:

Persevere with the SPuDs once you get used to them you'll never go back. Can some body explain to me how you can push on the down stroke and pull on the up stroke with flat peddles? Some thing else that dawned on me lately was how good the condition of my cranks are compared with some on the cranks I see on the bikes in this forum, answer SPD's :?

gradeAfailure":2c8kgxf4 said:
Iwasgoodonce":2c8kgxf4 said:
cyfa2809":2c8kgxf4 said:

Flats are fine.

Maybe people whor ride flats can ride properly and don't need their feet anchored to the pedals to stop them coming off...? [/devil's advocate] ;)
when you get older your shins take longer to heal

Back