Funk me- updated

neilll":19rpw2bj said:
Lid":19rpw2bj said:
Get drunk and buy one stupid inappropriate item off e-bay.
Then spend the next year trying to get matching bits.....that dont fit.
God the cup is half empty today.

Engineers say that in fact the cup is twice the size required. ;)

Crell":2g0kuc1a said:
They did swap the tubing ( IIRC it's in the MBUK article) - the downtube Dia is the giveaway I think -

Early Funks were 6061- T6 (6000 Series), then in 1992 Easton Pro-Gram and later in 1992 Easton Vari-Lite 7000 series I think. (or is Pro-Gram and Vari-Lite the same thing????)

Mine has got a massive downtube, filed welds and is 100% 1992 but later ones were smaller I think.

Just had a look at the MBUK article.

It's a "Summer 92" article - so probably written at least a few months earlier.
That "early 92" bike has:
1) Original Decals (Actually I think there was a simpler style before that, with less "square" font.
2) The smooth welds.

It says that that bike has the Varilite tubing - same as Programm
The Downtube is 1.75 inch
The Headset is 1.125
3.75lb weight

The earlier frame had:
straight guage 6000 series alloy
A 2 inch downtube
A 1.25 Headset
4.5 lb weight!

HTH

Two articles here (one you mentioned)

Attachments

• page7-1.jpg
    page7-1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 1,143
  • funk_03_570.jpg
    funk_03_570.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,143
Mine has the 2" downtube and 1 1/4" headtube, raw unfinished welds but later Decals which appear to be original.
Mailed the guy who I bought it off and he bought it from its original owner in Denver who used to work for Funk. Could explain the lack of frame number??

So is it a 91 as I first thought??

Dr S":554v5olx said:
Mine has the 2" downtube and 1 1/4" headtube, raw unfinished welds but later Decals which appear to be original.
Mailed the guy who I bought it off and he bought it from its original owner in Denver who used to work for Funk. Could explain the lack of frame number??

So is it a 91 as I first thought??

Sounds like a cut and shut :LOL:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's the early frame. Decals aren't original for a 91. They are late 92 / 3. Maybe it was an old tubeset lying around built up in 92. Who knows - especially if it was an employee bike.

Just marvel at it :mrgreen:

If it was an old tubeset laying about they would use the current joining method rather than reverting to the original welding style/finish. Its a strange one but hey who cares- she makes me happy ;)

Managed to find a few more parts today. Stuck on wheels though, time to head over to the 'bay and have a sculk around methinks.

Ah sorry, I'm getting Neill's & your welds mixed up. :shock:

Yours' is a pre "Early 92" bike then, with the "natural" welds - but they certainly aren't the orginal decals.

If all this turmoil has proved too much, you could force me to releive you of it. ;)

i'll have to get Gil to do an early decal set for it- shame I like the later stylee.
Made some parts hunting progress tonight, just need a front hub and I can build the wheels up.

Si

Back