'98 Kilauea...

BerthaPog

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So where to start on my owned since new ’98 Kilauea…a bit of reminiscing and history of my Munificent Mustard Reynolds 631 from as far back as I have pictures.

Earliest picture I have it’s about a year old, after a ride on the day of the Solar Eclipse in 1999, at this point is was pretty much as it came new from the shop, with the only changes being the addition of gold X-Lite Alto-Pro bar ends, Time Atac pedals, bottle cages, rubber boots for the Z3 Lights and Mr Cruds finest “clear” Crud Catcher and Race Guard and selection of Essex’s finest mud.

1999_01_0021_edited-1.jpg

A huge gap then opens up in the photographic record missing the death of the original Break and Enter tyres, wearing out the 221 blue-grey rims and replacing the saddle with something more comfy (Flight Max Trans Am). Due to other toys, the Kilauea got relegated to road-mongrel mode. No pictures at this point, but Z3’s and dropped bars didn’t mix, so a set of P2’s were fitted, which made things a whole lot better. With hindsight I probably shouldn’t have sold the Z3s ☹. So on to 2006, and finally a picture with the drops on, though with Bonty Super-X semi-slicks for mixed riding around Swanage in 2006.
IMG_1089_edited-1.jpg

Another photographic hiatus brings us to 2009, no real change in build, but the discovery of Retrobike is about to change all that. Time to get it back to being what it should be…

Built up with mostly the original parts and P2s, a bit mid-build here late autumn 2009.

IMG_7086_edited-1.jpg

IMG_7170_edited-1.jpg

IMG_7172_edited-1.jpg

IMG_7177_edited-1.jpg

Later that year, all built up and being ridden in the snow and frost…
IMG_7282_edited-1.jpg

IMG_7283_2_edited-1.jpg

P1030021_edited-1.jpg

PC210014_edited-1.jpg

2010 and some ’99 spec Z3 lights in a near matching blue have arrived, steel steerer was a bit short so replaced with a NOS alloy one (putting the Light into the Z3 Lights). It’s now become my regular ride, so tyres updated. Being ridden here, there and everywhere and more than holding it’s own against more modern stuff on the regular post work ride.
IMG_7537_edited-1.jpg

IMG_7563_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8274_edited-1.jpg

And after having been playing in the snow again with Panaracer Spikes last December.
IMG_8689_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8690_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8693_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8694_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8701_edited-1.jpg

As you already know I am a fan of this bike.

Strangely ( and I say this as a fan of suspension) I think I prefer it with thr P2s over the bombers ....... i think I need to go and sit in the corner :p

Might ebe going through the process of having canti tabs re attached to mine ....... :oops:

konaben82":avqm4w3p said:
nice bike mate :cool:

Ta,

letmetalktomark":avqm4w3p said:
As you already know I am a fan of this bike.

Strangely ( and I say this as a fan of suspension) I think I prefer it with thr P2s over the bombers ....... i think I need to go and sit in the corner :p

Keep umming and ahhing about doing that (P2s back on, not sitting in the corner :) ).
Plus points...they did look rather good, they weighed less (even without being TB ones), it's makes it even more "retro" for a modern '98 :) .
Minus points...would need to get some P2's (those ones are currently on my AA "town bike"), it would end up very similar to my Explosif, and I doubt my riding skills would really be a able to tell the difference

Other option is to get the forks resprayed black which would make it closer looking to the original forks.

letmetalktomark":avqm4w3p said:
Might ebe going through the process of having canti tabs re attached to mine ....... :oops:

Maybe this is the start of becoming a true retrogrouch - adding canti mounts to modern disk only frames. :)
But I'd imagine there are enough Kona frames out there to make it more economical to pick one of those up and build it with canti's/v's.

graham1975":3v8syl6t said:
Really nice pics and build, glad you removed the old mudguard of the rear.

Agree, it wasn't doing it any favours. I really didn't like the '98 range but I've fallen in love with this particular model. When I'm rich it'll be next on my need list.

Awesome bike. As a bit of balance I really like it ith the P2s AND really like it with the bombers. My heart says P2s and my fun radar says go with the bombers and have a blast. Either way it's ace :D

Re:

<space reserved for post spruce update>

If parts arrive, will be a chance to change NOS[1] into NOS[2] at the north yorks ride.

NOS[1] - New Old Stock
NOS[2] - Now Only Secondhand

Re:

Nice , takes me back to the one I built up ,

The Manitou SXRs were a good colour match . Now , regrettably , long gone :(

Excuse the weird looking picture . It's a photo of a photo :facepalm: all that remains
Mike

Attachments

• K 1.jpg
    K 1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 855
Back