Cross bikes

I have a Kona Jake and have had it for 2 and a half years now. It's done a good few thousand miles (including 2 400 milers). I ride it the 50 mile round trip to work (with slicks on), and its great fun off road with knobbles on.

I got mine through CtW too and it's opened my eyes to road riding without being on a road bike. Off road it's stiff and responsive and great fun. It gets some funny looks from people on the trails too.

Are you planning on entering competitions or is it for hitting the trails and having a laugh?

The current crop of Focus cross bikes from AX2 up are outrageously good. They have a shorter top-tube and are more chuckable than most.

But AFAIK that means Wiggle so maybe no cycle to work scheme?

My only question about what is essentially a commuter is how secure is your works parking with those " chav bait " disc brakes? If you're buying it ( ahem! ) not solely for work purposes but just fun I'd say go for it; a fabulous bargain.

Thanks for the replies!
I'll just be using it for fun, so it will get a mix of both on and off road use.
A few friends have got road bikes so I was just thinking of something that I could use to go out with them but I've also wanted to have a stab at cyclo-cross riding too.
I'll take a look at the Kona and Focus bikes too ;)

I went through this last year, picked up a Cube X race. Its been great in its versatility, really opened up my commute routes and have tried a few races too. Anyway I shortlisted:

Cannondale, best looker
The Cube, best spec and from LBS
Genesis Croix de fer also a tasty looker and steel
Genesis day one alfine, only 8 speed at he time.

Ultimately it came down to the LBS which has paid off. The dale dealer was not interested otherwise I would have gone there. The Genesis models were heavy and alfine 11 was round the corner.

I've been mostly happy with the bike itself, couple of grumbles and when I converted it to road tyres it was a little dull, back to knobblies though and its doing the biz.

I bought this on the C2W scheme, didn't get great reviews , but i love it.

Attachments

• marin.jpg
    marin.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 933
having set my SS up as a road commuter, i too am turning to the darkside of road riding, especially as winter sets in.

where are people finding the focuses/foci/focus' to buy in this country?..my google-fu is weak this evening.

there's a nice spesh tri-X in the roadie section too...

Back