1997 kona fire mountain

yeah maybe the azonic has to go, I'm building a zaskar up too at the moment
so i'll probably use it for that with azonic risers :cool:

as for the low end frame with high end components....if i kept the low end components it would ride like a sack of spuds :p

i havent actually ridden it yet properly due to no gear cable yet....single speed options.....well when my zaskar is done, these wheels/tyres will be going on that and the kona will have some mavic 521 CDs and slick tyres, I'll probably just use it for bombing around the country roads/light tracks so maybe like a medium-hard gear? i have a 32 tooth raceface ring so what would go well on the back?

cheers :D

cce":22om18i7 said:
you appear to have done something common around here and hung a load of nice components off a low end frame
just sayin....

Maybe it's common because actually the "low end" frame in question isn't excessively heavy, is strong enough for decades of hard use and actually rides really nicely? It's not like he's stuck XTR on a BSO, this is a frame with well-proven geometry and while perhaps not featherlight it's not going to build up into a 40lb monster either.

Not everyone has the cash to splash out on a high-end frame and high-end components and I know I'd far rather a "low end" frame like this with good reliable components (even if you'd judge them "too good" for it) than a high end boutique piece of wall art frame with budget parts stuck on...

Having said all that, it's not my dream bike either but I still like to see what people do on a bit of a budget, gives the site some variety...

ajm":36j5zw43 said:
cce":36j5zw43 said:
you appear to have done something common around here and hung a load of nice components off a low end frame
just sayin....

Maybe it's common because actually the "low end" frame in question isn't excessively heavy, is strong enough for decades of hard use and actually rides really nicely? It's not like he's stuck XTR on a BSO, this is a frame with well-proven geometry and while perhaps not featherlight it's not going to build up into a 40lb monster either.

Not everyone has the cash to splash out on a high-end frame and high-end components and I know I'd far rather a "low end" frame like this with good reliable components (even if you'd judge them "too good" for it) than a high end boutique piece of wall art frame with budget parts stuck on...

Having said all that, it's not my dream bike either but I still like to see what people do on a bit of a budget, gives the site some variety...

the difference in cost between a fire mountain frame and say a kilauea is 50-60 quid. not a lot when you're slinging XTR and middleburn money around is it.

for what it's worth, i've had one of these exact frames. it steered well enough, it's a kona and they all do that sir, but it felt heavy and dead, even next to my lava dome.

hmmmm....to be honest the frame is a little heavy but that doesnt bother me, its no steel full suspension 99 quid job from argos!

maybe i'll get a hei hei one day when i win the lottery but for now this has tidy paint work for a frame that's like 13 - 14 years old and is perfect for hacking round the country lanes on - thats about it :D

ajm":33uu9b8a said:
cce":33uu9b8a said:
just sayin....

Note though that the geometry is different on this (and the Hahanna) to all the other steel hardtails in the 1997 range hence some of the comments about feeling dead on the trails.

It's a lovely colour though.

Don't listen to the haterz, that's a nice frame you've got there, probably weighs a few ounces more than a Kilauea/Explosif, but who cares?

it does me fine mate! ...the zaskar has arrived now anyway so i reckon the mech, crank, pedals, saddle, stem and wheels will be going on that, this will end up single speed i reckon with slicks :cool:

frame now for sale....the zaskar has taken priority! plus ALL the original compnents (just not the forks) are also for sale and cheap....anyone interested? i'll stick it in the for sale thread in a bit...

Back