The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Hhhmmm! Tempted, I'm not normally that keen on the way technics amps sound (only really heard the newer low end stuff). How are they in comparison to the NAD's?

nathanman":nej3pk26 said:
Hhhmmm! Tempted, I'm not normally that keen on the way technics amps sound (only really heard the newer low end stuff). How are they in comparison to the NAD's?

These are the 'proper' amps from the late 70's, very fashionable at the moment. 'big' powerful sound as they've got power supply to back it up.

They also have killer phono stages, something lacking on newer stuff and somehow just not recreated in today's off board stages.

Only the later big NAD models could come close although the 3020 can still embarrass, even today.

Heres the Rega Planar 3 I have

RB200 arm with R-100 cartridge

Attachments

• Rega Planar 3.jpg
    Rega Planar 3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 5,137
Did you swap the rb300 out for the rb200 yourself? If so, do you still have the straight arm?

Interested, pending... Thanks!

hova":1t3wag3k said:
Did you swap the rb300 out for the rb200 yourself? If so, do you still have the straight arm?

As far as I'm aware, this was purchased like this.

The deck has the original lid and mat too.

legrandefromage":1jyuirul said:
hova":1jyuirul said:

As far as I'm aware, this was purchased like this.

The deck has the original lid and mat too.

Thanks for the clarification, big cheese... as it was probably the original arm, then it's probably not of the "vintage" I'm looking for... damn. I'll pass, thank you... Good luck with the sale.

But I do have to say this - for all of those thinking about listening to vinyl again - IT REALLY DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS FOR THE PRICE!!! The Planar 3 is a legend which has been around for 30 years... this isn't a mere "DJ" quality turntable which someone may try to convince you is "the best", but a real piece of sonically superior hifi comparable to turntables costing thousands.

Ditto that comment on the Rega.

I had one running through a 3150. Very nice. (edit - in fact just saw the picture now I have signed in, I had the same model/arm).

My mate had one. He replaced it with the 301 grey grease, but used the rega arm. Did it really make a difference? Actually yes, it did, but the rega was very good. When he first built up the 301 we did a comparison utilising a Nad cd deck, a Technics 1 bit deck and the 301. The album we chose was a kraftwerk, I think, album. That was very interesting to do...The Nad and the Technics where just different. The Nad seemed more detailed in the higher ranges, the Technics in the lower. That was unexpected as expected them to be more or less the same. The 301 seemed to encompass both sides and then some. Bearing in mind we were both a little sceptical when he first built the 301 up, (he got it free), the result was simply astounding.

Actually he runs the 301 through a Linn preamp, into a home made gainclone then into a pair of home made kef driven speakers. The sound is, quite simply, lovely.

Just saw the Tivoli in the background of that Rega Pic. I have to say the Tivoli Model One is a stonking radio. Have one next to me right now....

I have some Mission 772 speakers with cherry cabinets and gold phase plugs for sale if anyone is interested.

Also have Cyrus 2 amp with PSX (toggle switches), but has developed a fault - the right hand channel is a lot fainter than the right. A common problem I hear, but anyone know how to fix it?

Back