My GT STS-1 Build (finished) - update 04/04/2012

What kind of fork travel and axle to crown measurement do you have with that Bomber on there? Looks to me like the front end is up quite a bit from what the frame was engineered to handle. This can put a lot of stress on the down tube where it meets the head tube. It doesn't look so bad in the one picture but then when you consider the front wheel is shown 6" lower than the rear it's pretty substantial.

Tim it's looking great. Someday I hope to find a minty first year STS-1 in a good condition. What kind of fork travel and axle to crown measurement do you have with that Bomber on there? Looks to me like the front end is up quite a bit from what the frame was engineered to handle. This can put a lot of stress on the down tube especially where the alloy meets the carbon.

Thanks for your comments

The travel on the forks are 3.9 inches, I have the black painted front version which I believe has a stronger head tube, but looking at the picture it's just the angle of the shot.

Should be get shifters by the weekend, I very stupidly took the cables out of the frame for the front and rear mech, any tip on getting them back thought the holes.

Tim,
Front mech cable is easy, the rubber GT panel near the BB can be carefully prised out to allow access to the hole. A common upgrade at that point is to CAREFULLY dremmel out the hole so it is big enough to fit a v-brake noodle through and use this as a front cable guide.

Rear mech cable is a bugger. I use 1mm steel modelling wire (cheap on ebay) and make it into a straight length. Feed it in from the rear and you can fish about until it pops out the front. You can also remove the forks to help guide it through the front with a finger (much easier and quicker than just doing it by luck). You then tape the end of the cable to it and pull carefully back through the frame. Just make sure you run the cable through shifters and outer cable before pulling it through the frame. (doh!)

Have to admit, of all the full sussers that have been around over the years the STS just looks right in my eyes with the organic frame shape :)

got the cables sorted, i put them in the wrong way, cause i could guide them thought, cause i removed the forks, and then taped them together with another cable and pulled it back thought, took me about 10 mins, and then realised that i had forgot to just the outer cables on. :cry:

Shifters have arrived, new seat clamp and carbon bars should be here very soon, so should be able to complete in the next couple of days.

all finished, taking it out for a ride this morning, :D :D

pictures to follow, only thing not sure about at the moment is the stem, and am still waiting on the carbon bars, so just using the red ones i already have.

pics

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Back