dingle/twingle speeds

Years ago on my elderly dawes galaxy I rode over a section of the Cairngorms, bike handled it OK but I was paranoid about the dished 126mm OLN rear wheel. Now I thought I'd like to do more off road touring but didn't want a new bike at the time so I thought about a tringle speed.
Build a rear undished SS wheel which would be nice and strong and use a compact 5 arm chainset on the front with 20/32/44T rings. I reckoned that would have given me a decent gear spread for the desired task whilst the bike would be well tough.
Never did it, wish I had ;)
I can see the point of the original posters idea, if you cant shift on the fly you effectively are a singles peeder in any given situation untill you stop and become a different single speeder.
I applaud the idea :D

Ditto..... applaud the conviction of doing something different. I'm all for bikes being an evolving machine that is as individual as the rider (see paint job!!! :cool: )

BOO to the nay-sayers... Not wishing to insult anyone, absolutely not intended, but my Nan always said to me, "if you ain't got nothing positive to say, young man, don't say anything at all"

G

its a very specific tool for a very specific job. weight saving isn't the reason for ditching the gears, although actually it does save a chunk. easier maintenance is the main reason (ironically i'm a bike mechanic) and longer lasting components.

re the paint job, again specific to the job. will be commuting on the bike all through the winter, and the white patches are respro reflective sticker.

I had a dinglespeed very similar to yours using the same tensioner. It was great, used my heel to kick down a gear so only needed to use a finger when shifting up.

you might be pleasantly suprised with a 42:18. I run 42:16 on mine, and can get up some fairly nasty hills. the long ones get very tedious and a bit draining though (this is all roads, mind)

looking forward to the report, very interested to see how it turns out after seeing orange71's lovely lovely dingle (new word, along with tringle, love it :D ) the other month on here

that wasn't my dingle (it was my single!) - my dingle was a Dave Yates a couple of years back.

only pic I have of it:

dualspeed081mediummo5_181.jpg

:oops: hehe, can't have been yours then orange, my apologies.

was a beautiful old black thing with a rolhoff (sp?) on the back....it'll come to me eventually.

Used to run dingle on my sliding drop out inbred with a 14/18 on the back and a 34 on the front.
Road ride to the trails/local flat stuff: 34/14
Hilly trails: 34/18.

Worked really well and I'd do it again if my current s/speed allowed it.

nothing is new in cycling :D

1925 cycles hirondelle retro-direct

Hirondelle.jpg

pedal forwards = hard gear

pedal backwards = easy gear :shock:

Back