Womens helmets.

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Any reviews from the retrobike mrs' ?
Mine likes the fox flux and there isnt really much else around. Cant seem to find many reviews either.
She has asked for one for christmas :D so looking for some ideas. Fox flux is a good benchmark.

as it happens, yes. mine likes the boardman road helmet, as do i...so i pinched hers :LOL:

:LOL: Good one!

Think we have them at work so will have a look.
What sort of style is it? She said she wants one that covers (liek a flux or close enough).
She said she doesnt want one like my bell avanti, and neither do i :evil: Dont know why i ever bought the damn thing!

Got my Mrs a Giro Hex when they were 40 quid in a nice white with pale blue markings. She loves it and it fits well.

So consensus seems there isnt enough difference in head shape/helmets to warrant getting a womens specific one?

cyfa2809":3gwyk9bs said:
So consensus seems there isnt enough difference in head shape/helmets to warrant getting a womens specific one?

Depends on the taste and head shape of the lady in question.

Womens' helmets seem to always have a visor which may have to do with them being more likely to sit "up" than men when riding.

The biggest issue seems to be the appearance factor though. Women are more likely to "need" a more compact helmet with less "mushroom" effect when worn. And for road helmets most of them seem to prefer it if they protrude less at the back.

Then there's colour/graphics and "ponytail exit port".

And finally size. Many of the smallest helmets are only in kids models with kids graphics. Many women need down to size 52/3. Standard sizes are 55-59 - it's not till you get to the mid-range that helmets are made in S/ML.

So basically if your wife has a head bigger than 55cm, hair too short for a ponytail and has no regard to what her helmet looks like, there is no reason to buy a women specific model.

I'm a big fan of Cratoni helmets btw.

@ cyfa - the boardman one is actually a blokes one anyway.

@TGR - probably yes, though not quite what you were thinking :p

Back