Clipless pedals. The Hilarity!

Scougar":1y9n5ojy said:
So I ordered myself some Shimano 520 clipless pedals and cheap muddyfox SPD compatible shoes. Let me first say... I'm NOT an experienced cyclist.

The feeling of not being in control... oh my gosh. I had them at the default settings and couldn't get a shoe out.. and fell to the wrong side. Oh man.. I could only laugh on the floor. The second time (15 mins later) I got cocky and tried to turn too tight.... cue me hitting the deck with a few cuts. And of course.. I laughed out loud again :-D

Suffice to say.. I have put all four springs in 'panic' mode (the loosest setting)... and that little thought in my head is saying "Were they necessary?"

All I can say is thank goodness the other day when I came off at about 15mph that I DIDN'T have these on! (luckily cyfa has serviced the bike since then ;-) )
I've just bought the same combination of Shimano 520 clipless pedals and Muddy Fox shoes for my Carerra road bike but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm looking forward to falling off plenty of times when I do though :shock:

According to one of the cyclist chaps at work, the bottoms are quite stiff (a good think apparently), and not too bad for the money it seems.

A few things I noticed about the shoes... no wet weather protection.. you may need to seal the shoes yourself (Shimano's apparently have a water sealant strip to put in after installation of cleats), and they probably are not the best for rain/winter due to the massive vents on the front lol. prob best to get some overshoes as well :)

Pedals seem pretty good :) Also.. trying out the muddy fox orange/black jacket and the black water proof cycling trousers lol.

Oh, and I made it all the way to work... and back, without fallig off! lol ;-)

bigmick said:
you can buy pedals that are flat on one side and spd on other

its damaged knees v damaged shins if you slip off flats[/quote

With straps, spds I find it much more often happens that I get my foot down too late and then the shin is in for it, grand style, or a much more serious event like a full off.

Flats with proper spikes in them catch your footwear nicely with even the slightest part of it, I have found the pedal with my toe or infoot often enough and managed to get some effect.

Tried clipless for about 3 hours

2 of which were spent lying on a field/fire road/bush & rocks.

Flats seem to suit my riding style but I suppose given more time, you will get used to them

Like the saying goes, it's just like riding a bike.

Perhaps I just needed decent flat's then (than the cacky plastic one's I had), and some reasonable MTB shoes?

Scougar":13nbmc9s said:
Perhaps I just needed decent flat's then (than the cacky plastic one's I had), and some reasonable MTB shoes?

Yeah i reckon so.

Just put some terror pins in my v8's :D The longest ones!

It all depends where you are going. A long day ride with some nice single track and woodland tracks, clip in.

Trail centre or somewhere with big downs I like the flats.

I like the looks of SPDs and always used them till now iv changed back to non clip in pedals but modified these candys , they was badly damaged and no good as spds anymore. These pedals work fantastic in all conditions with no slippage under foot after doing a couple rides last week in wet muddy conditions :D

I understand all the benefits, I have tried them repeatedly using different brands and all possible adjustments but I just dont get on with them. I lack the coordination to clip in at the start, the coordination to get out of them even without a panic situation, my knees hurt as do my feet.
Further I cant handle toe straps or toe clips. Funniest and most painful crashes have involved spd's. I also like to move my feet around on the pedals. I'm a flat pedal loving luddite and I'm not wasting anymore dosh on sticking my feet to peddals :roll:

Flats?! A kind of fish I believe. Keep going with the spd pedals. Everyone falls off 3 or 4 times when learning. Just think of those hideous pins/studs/nasty spikes that they attach to flat pedals smashing into your shins on regular occasions.

OUCH.

Back