Bowers & Wilkins

I sold some test equipment to the general Manager of NAIM a few years ago, and he came to my house a few times for coffee when picking stuff up. They now produce 'modern' audio systems which would surprise anyone who remembers the NAIM of 30 years ago.

They have stuff like lossless encoding 'jukeboxes' with huge HDs in, in wall active digital loudspeakers etc.

I suppose Meridian set the ball rolling for UK hifi manufacturers there with their multiroom systems, and now everybody from Linn to Arcam (worked there in the A&R A60 days) has joined the party.

I miss the old days of spinning vinyl on my transparent piece of sculpture turntable produced by those engineering gods, Michell.

The American market is to blame for 'multi-room'. Naim went 'normal' after its founder died otherwise it wouldnt have survived. The Hifi market is now such a small niche place, it is nothing compared to its heyday 30 years ago.

All these wee jukeboxes nare just the modern day:

boombox.jpg

Wow, look at that lot! Almost as bad as the collection I'm trying to get shut of! Don't want some of it do you? The Goodmans Magnum K's are a real eye opener for their age! :D

apache":2u7n167z said:
Wow, look at that lot! Almost as bad as the collection I'm trying to get shut of! Don't want some of it do you? The Goodmans Magnum K's are a real eye opener for their age! :D

Bendycat Eleventeen is your man for ghetto blasters over in the BMX forum: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/privms ... ost&u=4889

As for the Goodmans, they are very similar to Leak Sandwich models, which are well thought of too.

I had a pair of 'Sandwich' too, but parted them out to an enthusiast. The cones of the bass drivers were substantial due to their unique construction - but in direct contradiction to the low mass / super rigid mantra of later years.

I also have two Stereo 20+ amps from the same era (and a Module 80 which came with the Magnums). Just dont have anywhere to keep all this sh*t! :LOL:

another for the zeppelin here :)

got a nice Denon High end amp and monitor audio gold ref g60 speakers with B&W sub, onkyo pod dock....(whole system owes me 15k+) in the livingroom and in all honesty the zeppelin in the kitchen gets way more air time when it comes to music..fills the house with a nice warm musical environment that ALWAYS amazes me with how gifted at its job it is.. best part is.. plug in and tune out.. no messing about...

you'll both be happy and you'll not regret the spending :).. simple to use.. easy to live with.. place where you want when you want :)

modern hifi does work,, it just insults us older hifi nuts with its none conforming attitude lol.. its not square and it wont stack!!

PS they sound even better outside in the summer for bbq and the like :D

I'm guessing that the cabinet size is cm rather than inches as per the advert?

"Smaller version of the Tannoy Arden featuring the same 15" HPD 385A driver with Girdacoustic reinforced cone, but mounted in an 84 x 54 x 31" real wood veneer cabinet."

They certainly wouldn't be anonymous at 84" tall!!! :LOL:

Mrs ti-fat-man prompted santa... ;)

ain't she a pretty, f'ing mare to set up though (for a tech knob like me)

thread completed

Xmas2011100.jpg

Back