A complete novice - My Ambitious Klein Project.

Pwild

Dirt Disciple
Hello there RetroBike community!

So I use to borrow my brothers 1997 Kona Koa to ride to work on, Was a lovely ride until the rear derailer broke. I had to repaired at the local bike shop and had the stem replaced and it started to ride like a dream! Obviously my brother then wanted it back!

So - I had to find a new bike, I really liked the 80's and 90's style mountain bikes, after riding a few of the classics, My friends orange P7 and also a Marin Pine Mountain I knew I wanted one from that decade.

So I lurked on retrobikes for a while, seeing the interesting threads, reading about the classics and I chose what bike I wanted. I scoured the internet for class-field ads, Friday-ad, Preloved, Gumtree, Ebay, you name it, I searched it and I stumbled upon one that was just too good to pass up.

I went and collected it in person from the guy, I asked him about it, He said he'd owned it for about 6 years and that other commitments had taken over. He said he also owned a pristine Kona Lavadome in his attic that he was just too afraid to ride because he adores it.

The bike was in a sorry state, lots of paint chipping, no dents though. He said he had to leave it out in the garden for months as he needed the shed space. I put myself on the seat and I instantly knew I wanted this bike. Part of me said no it is too expensive and will cost too much to repair - go buy another rubbish bike but the other side said you want this and the project and enjoyment of doing it up and repairing it.

So I bought it - A Post-trek 1997 Klein Attitude Comp.
0RmWYs.jpg
Db8PYs.jpg
VMT7xs.jpg

Larger - > http://imgur.com/a/x7VtO#0

It's in a lovely linear fade blue. I say post trek because the bike has V-Brakes which I think came in after the trek acquisition. Although their isn't any mounting point for rear disc breaks so it must be quite an early frame still.

I'm a complete novice, Using the help of a bike book I took the whole bike apart, the bottom bracket, headset, spindle, chainrings and gave it a masssssive clean. Used WD40 and some really fine sandpaper to get the surface rust off and oiled and greased all the parts.

Now I must ask the knowledgeable retrobike community for some help!
I would like to redo the break and gear cabling, at present the bike is missing the rear derailer nylon inner cabling, but i'm looking to replace all the cables and all the internal cable housing. Could someone recommend how to do this?

Any advice or tips would be welcome, I'm looking to turn the bike into a whole group set, I don't have lots of money to spend but would like to equip it all with Shimano Deore XT parts.

It currently has
Avid brakes levers (?)
Shimano SLX Pedals and Chainrings, Which need replacing.
Shimano Deore LX front deralier, Deore XT rear
Shimano Deore shifters (Thumbies maybe?)
Bontranger Stem (Unknown)
Answer Manitou Spyder forks
Deore LX front V brakes
Avid rear V brakes
Unknown hubs
Unknown rear wheel
Bonranger front wheel
Stem and seat is Tompson, which I don't like and will probably replace

Also if anyone has any idea what the price of the bike would be it'd be reassuring to know I got a bargain or wasted my money!

If anyone has some bits or bobs to sell, especially Deore LX or XT stuff i'd be very interested!

Cheers guys! The more advice the better! : )

I also noticed the headset is completely worn out. I think it's a 1 1/8". can anyone recommend a headset to replace it?

No idea what it may be worth money-wise - just get out and ride it :)

I've just got a Klein too - only a cheapy Pulse.

If you aren't keen on the Thomson post ... if it's 31.6 and 400mm long - I'd be up for a swap.
I'm guessing you might need a 34.9 front mech - Ive got quite nice XT M739 mech I'd trade.

I also have a XT M750 front mech in 34.9 - if you are interested in a swap

Back