Oh God I think it's started is there any cure for my illness

Into each life a little rain must fall

Oh well, I was woken up by the missus this morning shouting at me to get out of bed, babbling something about my bike getting stolen. So I jumped out of bed put on my best house clothes and crawled downstairs, to find out some scrote had managed to remove my hack bike from out of the back garden. Now this was a Specialized Hardrock Sport which I had built up over the past couple of months which was almost finished apart from needing a new back wheel because the pawls on the old hub were shot, as I found out the first time I sat on it to ride it. As in my previous post it wasn't anything special and was really purchased as a project to see how everything went together and how everything worked, the full bike cost me approx £150 to build and it was solely for the use of getting me to work and back as my off-road beast is for too good for tootling to and from work. Then a wry smile crossed my face as the missus asked why I wasn't that bothered about it being nicked. Little did she know that my little brain was working overtime as I had recently upped the insurance on my "bike" to £1000, and I was thinking, get a new bike prob Ali, part it out and then use the money to upgrade my existing one and still have some funds to build up the frame that I have just won. So I guess the bank balance is looking a bit rosier once I've stripped and sold all the bits off this new bike that will be arriving shortly and then I can spend the next couple of months starting the cycle all over again and this time I'll make sure that it's safely locked away with my off-road beast rather than locked to a drain pipe. It's just a bit of a kicker about it getting nicked after spending the time trawling the net looking for what you need at the right price and then someone comes along who takes a fancy to it and decides its his. It's a shame I couldn't have witnessed him trying to ride off on it as the chain slips everytime you try to pedal as I would have laughed my ass off.

Regards

Liam

De luxe insurance that'll pay up on a bike kept outside. And full replacement cost. Lucky chap.

PS Delete the post if you can I suggest.

The bike is insured as a separate item and when I upped the insurance I enquired with the advisor that the bike was covered if locked outside to an immovable object, to which he said yes, and as the bike was chained up to the drainpipe at the rear of my house I don't see what the problem is, but I have to wait for the "Home Claims Management Team" to call me back, only downside is I think the company who replace stolen bikes for my insurance company is Halfords and there isn't a great range to choose from.

Regards

Liam

Liam1611":3ghqfwq8 said:
The bike is insured as a separate item and when I upped the insurance I enquired with the advisor that the bike was covered if locked outside to an immovable object, to which he said yes, and as the bike was chained up to the drainpipe at the rear of my house I don't see what the problem is, but I have to wait for the "Home Claims Management Team" to call me back, only downside is I think the company who replace stolen bikes for my insurance company is Halfords and there isn't a great range to choose from.

Regards

Liam

the boardmans aren't completely horrific bikes... but i could find something far nicer for the same or less cash!

I must say, I don't think i'm alone in saying that riding the bikes for a lot of people isn't nearly as enjoyable as plotting a build in your head, searching for parts, waiting for bits, stripping, cleaning, rebuilding then mounting them to a frame and watching builds take shape piece by piece.

my next build is being done slightly differently. because i don't have the cash to accumulate all the bits now, i'm avoiding the temptation of throwing stuff on it 'just to see' and am slowly but surely putting it together one component at a time! it should be done by xmas with any luck as i'm planning on riding it to work xmas morning! The downside to a build like this is that you get the chance to change your mind quite a bit rather than sticking to plan A!!

Back