camelbak?

Cheers guys, It's all good info.
It's looking favourable at the moment, I suppose I'll only really find out by trying one out.

I had a Camelbak Thermobak for years, then a couple of Camelbak Blowfish, great invention, carries plenty of water (if I want energy drinks I carry a bottle as well, Camelbaks will go manky after a while if you fill them with sugary drinks and neglect the cleaning).
I rarely clean mine, the newer bladders are designed to inhibit microbial growth, I just empty it and let it dry out after use. Periodically I'll use some Milton sterilising fluid in it or some Steradent tablets (the stuff for false teeth :D).
I find them very handy, no more leaning down to find your water bottle, then finding the cap is covered in mud or cow shit :LOL: and you can carry everything you need for a full days riding.

Cracking bit of kit imo. As already said space for bits and pieces and more liquid than two bottles, plus it's cold. Mine's got a space for a pump and ties for a jacket as well as the pouches.

Only drawback I've found is the warm glug you take which is the water left in the tube before you get to the cold stuff. If anyone knows how to avoid it... :)

technodup":vlm0pwto said:
Cracking bit of kit imo. As already said space for bits and pieces and more liquid than two bottles, plus it's cold. Mine's got a space for a pump and ties for a jacket as well as the pouches.

Only drawback I've found is the warm glug you take which is the water left in the tube before you get to the cold stuff. If anyone knows how to avoid it... :)

Blowback after drinking. This puts the liquid back into the bladder, so it stays cold (longer) in summer, and stops it freezing in the pipe in winter.

After youve washed it out[normally]no need to dry it,just pop it in the freezer ;)
Below freezing mould cannot grow

Tazio":2psugwqk said:
One of the best inventions ever for cycling. There is also the logic that if you put 2 full water bottles on your bike then the weight savings you have spent a fortune to enjoy are instantly negated by 2Kg of water.
I find this interesting because my initial reaction to placing stuff in a rucksack was one of weight distribution.
Stuff on your bike is lower and so will the centre of gravity, you + stuff + bike will weight the same so lower should be better.
I also realise it probably makes no difference either way, but it's good to get the grey cells working.

That does seem a bargain.
Does the bladder on any of these interfere with internal space at all?, ie does stuff rattle around as you drink the level down.

NAILTRAIL96":1kptz9sy said:
Tazio":1kptz9sy said:
One of the best inventions ever for cycling. There is also the logic that if you put 2 full water bottles on your bike then the weight savings you have spent a fortune to enjoy are instantly negated by 2Kg of water.
I find this interesting because my initial reaction to placing stuff in a rucksack was one of weight distribution.
Stuff on your bike is lower and so will the centre of gravity, you + stuff + bike will weight the same so lower should be better.
I also realise it probably makes no difference either way, but it's good to get the grey cells working.

I don't weigh much anyway so an extra couple of Kg doesn't make much difference, and I don't think I'm a good enough rider to notice fine changes in COG.

And of course your bike looks prettier without bottles :oops:

I do find that I'm needing more stuff than my saddle pack can carry and whilst I don't mind stopping to drink (I probably stop more than I drink these days) I find it a pain getting the bottle out of the small frame I ride.

I also like the appeal of one set of stuff regardless of how many bikes I may aquire :D

I was worried that they may be a pain to ride with or poison me at the earliest oppourtunity though.

Back