700c tyres and tubes for charity ride

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi,

This is a polite request for some generosity which I hope no-one minds.

A friend of mine sadly lost her mother recently to cancer and now has signed up for the Rowcroft Hospice ride from London to Paris in April next year in her memory. Rowcroft are a South Devon organisation dedicated to providing care for those suffering life limiting illnesses and I know from my experience with them last year when my father also was lost to cancer they do an invaluable service.
http://www.rowcrofthospice.org.uk/
My friend, Kirsten, is not a cyclist at all other than down to the shops and back but is going to take on this challenge - the first day is a 95 mile stage ! - and in doing so will hope to raise over £1400 for the charity.
Sadly I can't join her on this ride due to other comittments but I will get out on the roads over the winter with her to train in preparation.
Shed raiding and local support so far has got her a selection of "interesting" bikes and out of these I have put together something half way decent. It's a Raleigh Pioneer ladies hybrid in fair condition so hardly a titanium framed super tourer but it'll be an easy and comfortable bike for her to use. However, I haven't managed to find a decent set of tyres or tubes for it. So if anyone has some 700c road tyres and / or tubes they would care to donate - I will happily cover postage costs - that would be very very appreciated.

Thankyou.

I have a pair of Michelin Speediums she can have if she wants them. 700x23c, grey/black, folding. I've done a few hundred miles on them but they'll be good for thousands of miles more. :)

I have a nearly new set of Conti City Rides lying about so if she needs some more drop me a PM and I'll post them over

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken, thats very kind and if you really have no use for them then I will certainly accept, never hurts to have a spare or 2.
Hope this is the start of Kirsten getting out on a bike regularly - starting with some decent tyres and build up the rest of bike from there !

Hi Trek :) I know it sounds like you've got this in hand, but is the bike you have so far "up for the job ?" 95miles is a very good hike to a seasoned leather bummed oldie like me, so its a serious challenge for a newbie.

Don't mean to be rude, or underestimate what you've achieved so far, but my offer is simple my friend "I'll donate her a complete bike for the challenge" I just need to know if this lady can ride a mans small frame OR does she need a womans frame ?

Lets give the brave woman a bike befitting of her own courage :) The 1 she has now can be her training bike. PM me or write here my friend, as any attention your post raises, is attention for her cause. My name is Anthony aka Laz. My word is my bond :) Yours Laz.

PS: It wont be this bike, but something very similar & spec. This is the wifes. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159665

Really ?!! :shock: Laz, that would be fantastic !
You are right the Raleigh is a decent(ish) bike for training on and trundling around but 95 miles and the rest is not an easy task for someone not used to that distance (me very much included here). I know Kirsten would do it through sheer determination but anything to make it easier so that she can hopefully enjoy the run and achieve the finish and all it represents to her is a good thing. Just fitting the tyres kindly donated by Keith has made the Raleigh far far better on the road but its still a bit of a lump to push up the hills.
She's probably best suited to a ladies frame rather than a small gents if thats possible. Do you need me to give you an approx frame size ? She's about 5' 5" , my other halfs 16" Marin MTB is about right for example if a bit long reach wise.
I can't wait to tell her ! :)

Hi again Trek :) PM'd you, but the answer is YES, her's to keep. Configuring the build as I write, so I'll get this on the go in time for an early xmas present. Delivery 12th December'ish.

She will need more than determination my good friend when her legs give way. A good bike will give back to her around 20-30miles. I know how 5miles without legs feels, its worse than the first 90 :)

95miles on the best bike we can build will feel more like 50 done on 1 that'll just do the job ie: if she trains & handles 50 on her trainer, the decent bike will repay her over the first 95. I'm sure you know what I mean :) Later my friend, .... I have a bike to build. My very best to you, yours Laz.

Hi again Trek :) Don't be speechless buddy ... tis OK :) Thanks to your post, "I might now be going too, along with my son & nephew". So long as all the places are not taken, I'll be there :)

PM'd you the rest my friend :) Take care, and this really is no biggy, just happy that my slack might finally be of use to someone who wants to ride it, not look at it :) Vintage Campagnolo is beautiful to look at, but I can never emphasise enough to anyone, that its looks are far surpassed by its reliability when you need it most .... on the road, .... up a hill, after many many miles, it just keeps on working, that's why I love the stuff :)

I still ride my 27year old SR hubs, as smooth now as the day I bought them, and they have done more miles than anyone cares to believe. MA40's have never failed me, even when I have seriously failed them by not paying attention to the pothole quite clearly marked " HUGE pothole " :)

Later my friend, yours Laz.

Back