Raleigh 'Services des Courses' 753R Team Panasonic *UPDATED*

The frame number starts SB88 so I assumed it was 1988, though I'm not entirely sure about the numbering system for SBDU frames.[/quote]

Yup, you're right - my old frame was an '86 frame and started SB86**
i loved that bike - the most comfortable and the lightest 753 i ever had. :D me being me, i just HAD to get it resprayed and CHROMED!!

of course, it CRACKED and was binned!! what a waste. the things you do when you're young and daft!! :oops:

rusty bodie":s8zs5rff said:
i loved that bike - the most comfortable and the lightest 753 i ever had.

I was told that SBDU numbers were sequential so that SB88** may not mean 1988 but there's a date on the saddle of late '87 and everything else is 87-88 Dura Ace so it all fits with '88 nicely.

It does ride like a dream, stiff but not too harsh - with every pedal stroke you can feel it surge forward, only the best bikes I've rode have done this :D The rims are a touch heavy though (22mm wide) and I think it can be improved with something lighter e.g. SSC's or GL330's :cool:

My frame is SB6663 ...and it is not from 1966

Beautifull bike RooKilo

RooKilo":3jeoww4c said:
rusty bodie":3jeoww4c said:
i loved that bike - the most comfortable and the lightest 753 i ever had.

I was told that SBDU numbers were sequential so that SB88** may not mean 1988 but there's a date on the saddle of late '87 and everything else is 87-88 Dura Ace so it all fits with '88 nicely.

It does ride like a dream, stiff but not too harsh - with every pedal stroke you can feel it surge forward, only the best bikes I've rode have done this :D The rims are a touch heavy though (22mm wide) and I think it can be improved with something lighter e.g. SSC's :cool:

i concur completely - a beautiful bike and perhaps the perfect frame too!

as far as your rims are concerned, i don't think you'd save anything significant in weight getting SSCs or GP4s - indeed i'd go for either if you're intent on changing from your campag rims although i can vouch for them - we sold dozens of pairs of the strada and pave rims with new builds - awesome and look great when rotating beneath you!

here's a link to a guy on ebay who replicates the frame decals of yesteryear and the very ones for your frame should it ever need them that is!>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-TI-mi ... 3913737908

and here's a raleigh 753 frame in the mcgregor colours that just sold for a small fortune in the states (of course) >>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200669440689? ... 1438.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
rusty bodie":1y9f8rxs said:
as far as your rims are concerned, i don't think you'd save anything significant in weight getting SSCs or GP4s

I'm probably being a bit fussy, I may just leave them alone as the Pave's are quality rims :D Thanks for the link for the decals, I'll get a set just in case - mine are slightly worn due to polishing but I like a bit of patina :cool:

If you fit GL330s that should save you at least 70g per rim which might be worthwhile but SSCs would be about the same weight as the Campag Pave wouldn't they?
If you're a bit of a racing snake you could really push the boat out and use GEL280s!

Mark.

Back