2011 Jeff Jones Steel Spaceframe

gil_m

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Kind of fell in love with the looks a while ago and just couldn't face the cost of one of these things. Rode a Ti version for a while and was amazed by the ride, especially the forks, so comfortable but so direct as well. I toyed with buying but just couldn't do it...

Jeff has be doing a Taiwan built Steel option for the last 12-18months and since seeing this as an option I have been very interested.

Finally got the chance to trade on one for myself and have been making the most of it for the last week.

What can I say, I am still amazed by the ride, if a fraction heavier than the Ti version it somehow feels more rigid, guess the Ti frame can be light and comfortable but also a little too flexy at times. The steel option has a similar ride feel but without quite as much flex, still comfortable but very direct through twisty trails, rode Thunder Mountain just before the snow came in today and it was amazing, three sets of 6-8 super tight hairpin corners and the bike just laps them up :)

Back into the woods next week, can't wait to rail it round the trails in Prescott :)

Bike really needs a few gears throwing on it, it just want's to go faster than a SS set up can bring, feel the need for a 1X10 once we get some dry trails back in the UK

Here's someshots to make you a little jealous....

I will be getting a wicker basket and squeeky horn for the bars :D

Attachments

• DSC00289a.jpg
    DSC00289a.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3,927
  • DSC00029a.jpg
    DSC00029a.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 3,927
  • DSC00296a.jpg
    DSC00296a.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,927
Very nice, such an iconic design.

I have been looking at the Jones too, but not had the good fortune of trying one in the metal. I think that is important also in view of sizing.

What size is yours? and how does it compare in e.g. toptube length to your more mainstream geometry bikes?

Enjoy!!

Jeff is only currently doing the steel frame as a 23" (effective) top tube frame, he was doing the Ti version in a 23" & 24" and I was hoping to hold out for a 24" steel frame but it looks like that might be a long way off.

At first I was unsure that the 23" would be fine for me, normally ride a 19" frame with a CtoC 23" top tube so thought the 23" effective might be a little short

I was wrong, Jeff pressed the point it would be ok but as you say you need to ride it to confirm, well he was right, as the seat post moves up it quickly extends the Top tube length and this can be tuned with stem length

I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam and run a 410mm Thomson post and 100mm stem, the seatpost is a good 50mm below the Max line and it rides great.

Guess the slighlty smaller size makes it very "chuckable" certainly builds confidence on twitchy stuff and steering remains nice and sharp unlike some 29"ers I've riden

Time to go riding again :)

Super cool, smitten by these myself :D just can't seem to clear the last hurdle, you reckon its a good all rounder or is the rigid a compromise or what I'm hoping, rigid deluxe? How easy is it too loft the front end? Managed to speak to him a bit at SSWC, cool guy :)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm 6'2" with a long inseam and typically ride 24plus" top tubes, notably longer on my 29ers. 24" Ti Jones will remain in the "no I couldn't" box for a while, but the steel frameset looks accessible by comparison.

Funnny enough my Tallboy felt very long today, not had this before. We took on a tight and twisty singletrack route today. The feeling was developing past the 35km mark when I was not quite as fresh as earlier on.

BTW Did you opt for the black over the blue or was colour choice not part of your opportunity?

Enjoy!!

Ride...Rigid deluxe I guess, it's steel after all so not as much flex as the Ti version but personally I think this is good, I'm a big guy so prefer it to be a little more rigid than the Ti version I rode.

I will fit a Ti seat post at some point, that will add to the comfort but keep the frame nice and rigid.

Steel fork seems to ride as well as the Ti version, also giving me the fat tire front if I feel the need

Front end is nice and light, no issues there easy to loft over small stuff or manual if needs be...

Sizing, if you get chance to ride a 23" you will be surprized, most of the stuff I ride is a 23.5 or 24" top tube so I'm with you on the sizing thing

Colour, kind of like the Black and not sure there was the option and the deal I had was a Black, if it's ok for Ford it's Ok for me ;)

Trek Sawyer, Ragley TD1, Niner SIR, All been Large or XL frames with longer top tubes and always felt a little "slow" at times

Hope this helps off riding this time :)

:cool: looks ace Gil......

i found my Ti jones a tad too flexy when the going gets rough, the seatpost/stays area in particular would flex quite a bit under load, though as bikes go it would handle pretty much anything.

Ti forks and bars soaked up the bumps really well though, as you will know.

been keen to know what the steel version would be like :cool: hope you enjoy it.

if i was to be honest, id probaly of prefered a steel than the Ti, mine was just too bling!

just incase people are wondering........mine was dripping in Ti and still weighed over 27lbs!

IMG_0023.jpg

satiopics010-1.jpg

I mentioned a long time ago I wanted the steel one, but would wait until they appeared second hand.

Hoping they sold well enough for one to come my way soon!

Back