RIDES FOR 2012?

Donohues are not from Yorkshire as far as I can remember. They were built in County Durham by Kev Winter. Not 100% sure, but 98% sure if you catch my drift.

The DN6 tubing thing was just made up. Even the protos were made in Taiwan.

Orange frames were made in the far east. The newer sheet metal frames are made here though.

Square tubed Paces were made here, all the new stuff is made over there.

My favourite Yorkshire made frames are from York- Ricky Feather. Stunning frames that just ooze class and beauty.

Strangelove frames are made in Northumberland but there is a big streak of Yorkshire DNA running through them.

Si

Ps. Cheers Vern, the cheque is in the post.

Yup I can get Wednesdays off if I have enough notice, although the idea of a nightride sounds good too

giant-one":2jxn8lz5 said:
Night ride sound good.

I can only think of 1 bike brand from Yorkshire, :roll: I have one of them but modern :D

There is also Ragley [Via Taiwan I think] and Pennine in Bradford who made at least one MTB because I saw it in Leeds, as well as all those "high quality" Falcon and Claude Butler MTB's from Humberside...

And that's even before I start thinking about road bikes.

Rich Aitch":2evqwq56 said:
Yup I can get Wednesdays off if I have enough notice, although the idea of a nightride sounds good too

giant-one":2evqwq56 said:
Night ride sound good.

I can only think of 1 bike brand from Yorkshire, :roll: I have one of them but modern :D

There is also Ragley [Via Taiwan I think] and Pennine in Bradford who made at least one MTB because I saw it in Leeds, as well as all those "high quality" Falcon and Claude Butler MTB's from Humberside...

And that's even before I start thinking about road bikes.

'umberside, we banished that back to the retro days (pre '96 that is) :LOL:
Them folks be Lincolnshire (or N. Lincolnshire to be correct now :roll: )..
or the region Yorkshire and the Humber* depending on what politician is asking .

*but not for us as that's cross RB-regions

tempsy

well, today i have mostly been constructing a ride or, part of anyway.

as this ride is not established or documented elsewhere it is taking some time as this is the recce before the recce?!

temple newsam and it's 1000 year old house is no big secret or the 'known' trails within. i, intend to make a route that complies with local authority regs and my 'healthy appetite' regs ;)

beyond this park is more stuff with as many features as i can cram in. im getting there but ready for 2012 without a doubt. with a possibility of ridable within the next couple of months. cooler(winter) weather may be a better option as we see less folk and labradores.

so far we have free and ample parking. close proximity to motorways. a major insight to Leeds' history with doomsday book references.

distance- slight leg ache.
grade. easy with moderate sections.

keep watching. :)

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0071-1.jpg

marc, easy to moderate.

help me understand your rating

The two rides here,
the one with the up, down and repeat and stop at the pub what's the rating of that -- moderate ?
and the other one
ride in the Humber and pay £2.50 a can of coke -- easy ?

and
blue man -- like pissing in the wind ?

tempsy

well ben, you need to know that a proper rating isnt possible yet as the whole route is not discovered as a ride at this point. The parts i have ridden are Easy with some first gear climbs and sliperry, rooty sections, therefore 'moderate'.

I'm obviously not in the employment of the ordnance survey so you just have to trust my judgement for now.

There is a corner shop nearby to obtain coke significantly cheaper! LOL.

I feel interpratation is at loss here. By any easy, moderate,hard, certain hospitalition rating, i relate to the terrain not altitude or distance, for example.

How dare you mention the blue man, ever! Lol.
I have been on the moors and other tough trails and my offering will be much less energy sapping and exposed, for comparison.

I will provide better, more detailed description in due course;-)

Grading a ride is always going to be difficult as everyones level of fitness and ability is different. Ability wise there isn't much that bothers me but fitness and stamina is a different matter. If a ride has lots of hard climbing then i factor that in when grading a route. Cutgate for example has some techy bits, but its the big big climbs that makes it a tough day.

As a rough guide i'd go for tge following

1. Flat, non technical, short ride of up to 10 miles. Do-able on any bike.

2. A few short climbs. Mildly technical trails in places but mainly open bridles. 10-15 miles duration.

3. Moderate and sometimes prolonged climbs, reasonably easy decents, some moderate technical challenges and distance around the 15-20 mile mark. Your average Retrobike Ride.

4. Longer steeper sections and faster more technical decents. Physically demanding trails with various hazzards. Demanding on both bike and rider and probably a day to leave rigid forks at home. Distance 20 miles plus.

5. The Blue Man. Shell shock. Rehab. Prolonged nightmares and behavioral changes. Thoughts of self harm and suicide commonplace. Leave the old bike at home. In fact, better leave yourself at home.

Obviously weather can change a ride rating up or down. Malham for example would by a 3-3.5 but in the snow becomes a 5.

Si

rides

thanks si.

on that guidance a rate of 2.5 would be fitting. with semi-slick tyres possible depending on recent weather conditions.

:cool:

Back