changing forks on spec m2

kvs766

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi hoping for some advice from more experienced retro bikers
I have a specialized m2 year 2000 in very good condition fitted with original Manitou sxr forks 80 mm travel work fine no leaks or problems.I have been given 2 other forks in same condition and was wondering if they are better fork and would be worth fitting .The forks are Marzocchi bomber z4 air forks 2001 other set are Manitou black adjustable 100-120 any comments gratefully received

Hi - The SXR is actually quite a good fork - I like them, and the 80mm suits the M2. As far as I remember, the Z4 has steel stanchions and is a heavy, entry level fork. The Black is pretty good, and you can usually run an extra 20mm over original without upsetting the handling too much. Adjusting the travel on Blacks does affect spring rate though and in the shorter option they tend to be stiff and unsupple. I would keep the original fork and if you really want to upgrade, keep an eye out for a good 80mm SID.

thanks for comments i dont want to change things and find out that i havent improved the bike

SXR's were about £350 BITD, whereas the Z4's would have been about £150 and the Blacks anything from £200 to about £500 depending on type. I'd stick with the Manitou's or keep my eyes out for some period SID's or Z2 lights.

Back