2010 Cube Team Ltd

apache

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My day to day commuter (my commute is 90% off road) - I like Ritchey WCS stuff - and it matches the bike. Crank bros wheels finish it off. Nice and light for hoiking over gates etc on my route to work.

DSCF2085.jpg

oooooowww how do you find it rides over longer distances?

Bearing in mind I am a moaning old bas@ard but I really havent taken that well to our 2011 LTD race my main gripes

-The back end in the saddle feels like your getting kicked up the arse by a donkey , Fine in early stages of a ride but becomes very irritating when fatigue kicks in

-Rolling .... on the flat or climbing just doesn't seem to roll (putting this down to tyres i guess but it just dont want to move in a hurry )

-Tracking , when at the Black mountains we climbed up through a dry rocky river bed ...It was just horrendous (tyres 30psi, sag correct on fox forks) I was just bouncing off in all directions didnt feel at all like the front end absorbed anything just pinged me else where :twisted:

But on the other hand , when riding full on trail centre trails ...It rocks ...super fast just nails everything :cool:

The longest distance I typically ride in one hit is around 25m off road.

At first (after years on a steel Marin and a steel Sunn) if felt pretty punishing, but now, after 18 months of between 8 mile and 15 mile round trip commutes depending on the route I choose, I really don't notice that the back end is super stiff.

Fitting the Crank Bros wheels made the back end stiffer again and at first I thought I'd made a big mistake with the wheels, but over time, the whole thing seems to have gelled. Whether that's the setup softening up a little or whether its me getting used to it I don't know.

Beyond the superficial, this isn't a bike I immediately took to, though after 18 months I appreciate it's fine points. It really is a super fast, very sharp handling, very positive light weight XC / trail bike. My riding style changes when I'm on this bike. It's very suited to fast sweeping trails, and does respond when you put the hammer down. It's the best climber I've ever ridden - which is where the stiffness of the rear end helps. I find this bike above any I've owned has improved my fitness as whenever you get on it's whispering to you to blitz it! I can hear it saying "Go -on... you know you want to! get out of the saddle you pussy!!!!" As a result, my commute times have been shattered by this bike! :D

On the down side, it can ping about a bit on rooted or rocky patches, though airing down the tyres a bit helps loads. Haven't ridden the Fox equipped one but the Recons work well enough.

For the price - and the discounts you can get on a 'last season' bike, it has to rate as unbelievable value. I saw a 2010 Team LTD early this year for £700 at CRC. I got mine for £999 on the cycle to work scheme :cry:

And just because - here it is in it's original state on my very picturesque commute late summer 2010 :)

DSCF7105.jpg

Pass. Never seen a Boardman MTB in the flesh.

Colleague has a CF road bike which is very well specced and very light for the money.

daj":b1j78grb said:
oooooowww how do you find it rides over longer distances?

Bearing in mind I am a moaning old bas@ard but I really havent taken that well to our 2011 LTD race my main gripes

-The back end in the saddle feels like your getting kicked up the arse by a donkey , Fine in early stages of a ride but becomes very irritating when fatigue kicks in

-Rolling .... on the flat or climbing just doesn't seem to roll (putting this down to tyres i guess but it just dont want to move in a hurry )

-Tracking , when at the Black mountains we climbed up through a dry rocky river bed ...It was just horrendous (tyres 30psi, sag correct on fox forks) I was just bouncing off in all directions didnt feel at all like the front end absorbed anything just pinged me else where :twisted:

But on the other hand , when riding full on trail centre trails ...It rocks ...super fast just nails everything :cool:

:LOL:

Back