If you could have one frame, what would it be and why?

neebsta

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I look at the umpteen bikes hanging in the garage ( a racer, singlespeed Salsa, geared Salsa) and think wouldn't it be easier to have 1 frame you could switch to geared/single speed with the changing of a few parts, rather than have 2 full bikes?

So that's the criteria...a steel frame none suspension that Would fit all requirements!

What would you choose and why?

i would choose a ti full susser with adjustable rear sus from 4-8 inches. air shock with lock out and sliding drop outs.

For me, a steel-framed early 90's MTB with drop bars and rigid forks.
With skinny tyres you can tour, commute and ride the road on it. With knobblies you can ride offroad, although admittedly not extreme stuff.

It's not that older is better, it's just that you can't get frames like that off the shelf today.

Apart from one of my own quality Strangelove Cycles fillet brazed frames with Paragon swinging dropouts (geared, rohloff, singlespeed capability at the turn of a screw), i'd have to go for a Cotic Soul. Fantastic frames. Bang on geometry, nice and light, great handling and ride and works well with anything from a 440mm rigid fork up to a 140mm suspension fork. A real modern day classic.

this is what I did. A bike for all seasons/reasons. Along similar lines to Si's above.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

28qpxr9.jpg

I can swap the paragon dropout for a geared one in 30 seconds. If I had included the braze on v-brake mounts I could also have swapped between disc and non-disc, however I decided I was unlikely to go back to V's. I wanted it to look clean. Cable routing is internal, as the idea was to keep it as low maintenance as possible.

My Xizang - I've used it in several guises and it seems to deliver in so many ways, I even reckon it would make a better road bike than my current racer.

Back