Help Needed..........Nishiki content

Retro_Roy":2afc7nzh said:
... i did fine a thread on another mountain bike forum where someone said nishiki had a whole line of e-stay bikes int he early 90's...

• * Nishiki's first e-stay was the '89 Alien.
    * In '90 they came out with the Alien ACX 7 the Ariel, both with e-stays (I have one of each).
    * In '91 they came out with a modified Alien ACX (I also have oen of these), an Alien AL, a modified Ariel & one other (it's name escapes me).
    * In '92 they offered the Alien AL, Ariel & one other.
    * I think they offered the Alien Al in '93 as well

None of Nishiki's e-stay bikes looked remotely like your bike, but like I said before, it's still a cool looking unit!

Cheers,

Arran.

hi arran
and everyone. i think i have evidence to put this mystery or should i say Mystic to bed for good. right under our very eyes. here is another one in a thread on this forum with a picture he received from a friend in BC which coincidentally is where i am. my bike is indeed a Nishiki Mystic and it does have a u-brake. numerous nishiki's had u-brakes in fact. contrary to what arran says. i'm going to look at another one tomorrow that has a rear u-brake. will post pictures of it if it works out too. a very original Nishiki Barbarian. in reasearching my bike i have found info on canadian Nishiki models very limited. i originally started looking for a bike i once owned in 1989 called a Kodiak. same deal. no info, no pictures. guess we can all learn something. :D
roy

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =barbarian

Attachments

• mystic2.jpg
    mystic2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 4,284
have a pic of my non e-stay for similar decal content - this was from 1989

nishiki_cascade_lets_off_road_lindsey_116.jpg

hi
picked up this little beauty the other day along with a norco pinnacle in another post. you'll notice it too has a u-brake on underside of chainstay. :D
roy

Attachments

• barbarian1.jpg
    barbarian1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 4,170
hi all and a merry christmas
it just keeps getting better. i was downtown vancouver friday afternoon doing some christmas shopping and walked out of a store and a green and white nishiki mystic just like mine pictured rode right down the street in front of me!!!!! :shock: could have knocked me over with a feather. they do exist and in numbers too. wish i had a camera with me or could have waved the rider down. maybe he would have sold it. would have liked to see if it had original components. mine i believe has a few. the rebuild is coming along. will post a picture here when it starts to go back together.
happy holidays
roy

hi all
the story of my Nishiki Mystic just keeps getting better and better. was by my local bike store Capp's Cycle today with the frame. was carrying it in (no wheels on it) and the older guy working there says `ah one of our old mystic's' i had my hand over the name on the frame so i knew he didn't read it. i said `our old mystic's'. turns out he's the owner. son of original who started the store in the 1940's. he proceeded to tell me that this frame was designed by Mountain Bike Hall of Famer Larry Ruble specifically for Capp's Cycle and built by Nishiki. they (Capp's Cycle) came up the name Mystic because it had STI in the middle which is the component group they hung on it. talk about area specific. no wonder these are virtually unheard of in cycling circles. from what i can find on the net Larry Ruble now manages John Henry Cycles in North Vancouver. this store is right around the corner from where i work. i think next week i will go see if i can look him up for more details. to get to John Henry i have to walk right past Deep Cove Cycles which i can see from my desk out the window at work. talk about mountain bike name dropping. :p hope all you nishiki enthusiasts out there are loving this info. in the mean time check out this link on some British Columbia mountain biking history.
p.s. build is coming along fine. will post a few pictures when it goes back together.
cheers
roy

funny how things pan out eh ?

get pics up roy

i got a nishiki cascade frame recently , unfortunatley not an elevated
but interesting

hi all
well boys and girls this should put all doubts aside as to the authenticity of my nishiki mystic. the extremely area specific Nishiki built solely for capp's bikes here in the vancouver area. went to a co-op bike store in vancouver i frequent today looking for some parts and lo and behold what do i see hanging from the rafters. yup you guessed it. a mystic in all it's glory. this one is in pretty good shape too. what i like is that it even has a capp's cycle sticker on it. :D
for your viewing pleasure another u-brace designed nishiki mystic.
whadday think?
regards
roy

Attachments

• Nishiki Mystic Frame 004.JPG
    Nishiki Mystic Frame 004.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Nishiki Mystic Frame 003.JPG
    Nishiki Mystic Frame 003.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Nishiki Mystic Frame 002.JPG
    Nishiki Mystic Frame 002.JPG