Gazelle Champion Mondial

jCymbal":25byj0xo said:
Elev12k":25byj0xo said:
You fitted loose balls?

I thought of removing the balls from their retainers and add (at least) one to each cup. I've spent some time this afternoon regreasing and readjusting the headset and it feels much better now. I'll try that some other time. Does anyone tried that before? Did it worked?

Or fit new balls. Loose balls often solve the problem ...or prevent for a problem arising. Use a proper grease like Motorex.

With BBs I normally do not add balls (2x 11), with headsets normally 1 or even 2. They still have to be able to move freely.

Run into a friend on today's ride and he was kind enough to take a picture of my Gazelle. New saddle and bar tape!

DSC07110.jpg

jCymbal":2439k5c9 said:
I asked around and didn't find much. People always told me to do a full respray. If I had the original decals, Mercian (for example) close by and could afford it I would have done it. As it was I just tried to remove the rust and disguise the "bruises". I'm afraid I just improvised with the tools I had at hand.

gmac123":2439k5c9 said:
sanding, grade of paper etc
any product used to treat the rust
prime the paint
paint
repeat
etc

Here it goes:

Removed the rust with 1000 sand paper.
Didn't use any product to treat the rust.
Didn't prime the paint.
Used two yellows, one ocre and white enamel to get the right shade of paint.
Waited two days and leveled/sanded/polished the paint with 4000, 6000 and 8000 micro mesh sanding sheets.
Repeat the paint and level steps until satisfied with result and done.

always glad to see this thread come back. we'll i've dug out my old steel and i'm contemplating the above

:( :shock: :(

Thank you all for the kind words. :cool:

This Gazelle really got "under my skin". To tell you the truth I think I got some sort of virus as I just got another Champion Mondial frame today. This one is from 1981, dark blue with white decals and it's going to be my winter/rainy days bike.

6306521565_094d5d4439_b.jpg

Back