Coolwall October 2011 - Entry Level Groupsets

Coolwall October 2011 - Entry Level Groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
after reading all this "sooo uncool" comments of yours, you force me to be even more sure that i'll never ever change the equipment on the bike i own, that'll be exage 100GS. it still works just perfect (although it was ridden just "a few" times per month --> think it's 1992ish). and no matter what i think it's totally cool. (but just can't vote that, because of No. of posts/rule...:)
(yes, it's my only bike with low budget/entry level groupset, but again, heavy COOL)

;O

Perhaps the term 'cool' is somewhat too subjective?

BITD if Mummy and Daddy were minted and bought you all the latest sh*t because you were an only child and a spoilt brat everyone thought you were another four-letter word that began with a 'c' but definitely wasn't 'cool' ;)

Equally, if you got a job in Daddys company just because he was 'something high up' (while the rest of us were struggling out of bed at some ungodly hour to do a paper round) so that you could 'buy your own' sh*t that was better than ours then ditto...

WE didn't care about your DX/XT equipped bike because you couldn't ride any faster than the rest of us in order to escape the kicking you so richly deserved - and at least Daddy could afford the private medical bill to have the seatpost removed from your rectum afterwards :LOL:

Found this definition of the word 'cool' online;

'when you are cool, you don't need to be told you're cool cos that makes it lame. however, if no one tells you then how would you know? thinking you're cool makes you uncool. not thinking you're cool when you are makes you ignorant. when you don't care about what others think of you and you're okay with who other people are, you're cool. there is a fine line between COOL and GAY and TRYHARD WANNABE. when you're not hyper/annoying, and people like you, you're cool. rambling on like this is not cool.'

Entry-level groupsets may have been heavy and a touch f'ugly but they were a quantum leap above what came before - everything above was just limited by your parents' income and their willingness to indulge their 'little soldier...' :?

You may infer from this that I did indeed have a paper round, and I would have happily killed any one of my 'spoilt-brat' friends if there was even the slightest chance his grieving parents would have adopted me afterwards! :LOL:

We_are_Stevo":3hwmzalu said:
You may infer from this that I did indeed have a paper round, and I would have happily killed any one of my 'spoilt-brat' friends if there was even the slightest chance his grieving parents would have adopted me afterwards! :LOL:

I share your pain. 3 paper rounds and still no LX on my bike back then.

We_are_Stevo":1tg7735m said:

BITD if Mummy and Daddy were minted and bought you all the latest sh*t because you were an only child and a spoilt brat everyone thought you were another four-letter word that began with a 'c' but definitely wasn't 'cool' ;)

Equally, if you got a job in Daddys company just because he was 'something high up' (while the rest of us were struggling out of bed at some ungodly hour to do a paper round) so that you could 'buy your own' sh*t that was better than ours then ditto...

WE didn't care about your DX/XT equipped bike because you couldn't ride any faster than the rest of us in order to escape the kicking you so richly deserved - and at least Daddy could afford the private medical bill to have the seatpost removed from your rectum afterwards :LOL:

'when you are cool, you don't need to be told you're cool cos that makes it lame. however, if no one tells you then how would you know? thinking you're cool makes you uncool. not thinking you're cool when you are makes you ignorant. when you don't care about what others think of you and you're okay with who other people are, you're cool. there is a fine line between COOL and GAY and TRYHARD WANNABE. when you're not hyper/annoying, and people like you, you're cool. rambling on like this is not cool.'

Entry-level groupsets may have been heavy and a touch f'ugly but they were a quantum leap above what came before - everything above was just limited by your parents' income and their willingness to indulge their 'little soldier...' :?

I often think the coolwall things, here, should be done just like on Top Gear - effectively an autocracy - Clarkson decides, then sticks 'em up - sometimes a tedious debate is tolerated, but rarely does it change anything.

I think it shouldn't be a vote to decide - I reckon the guv should just decide for himself, slap it up on the coolwall - and by all means, we can be entertained and have a faux vote and debate - and if the debate has any sway, the guv may decide to be influenced.

I don't think votes on the subjects work - people just vote for what they think is good, or what they like - and that's got feck all to do with whether something is "cool". And it doesn't work that way on Top Gear, which is, after all, what this thing is apeing, here - even the cars owned by the presenters are automatically uncool, most - if not all supercars are - even cars like the M5.

I can't honestly look at how the votes have unfolded, and look at the coolwall, here, and think the results make sense - they don't. We should have a gruff, intractable leader who decides, and we should just grumble a little about it - just enough for comic, fawning effect - then the universe would make sense again.

My school had a shed full of 100gs equipped emelles, they must have weighed 45 Pounds, wouldn't change gears, or stop. I asked for a bike for Christmas and bought a second hand claud butler with a mix of Altus and alivio. I never rode a school bike again.

For me Stx rc was the lowest of shimanos range that could be considered cool. It looked nicer than lx and cost less.

I had two paperrounds in 89/90 and I saved for a year for my DX equipped Alpinestars... ;)

Even then, I appreciated ***GS groupsets..

Appreciated they were shite, that is. :LOL:

Uncool.

nobody aspired to them, and they were plop.

I think perhaps we should put the subject into perspective?

No, they weren't cool BITD; no, no-one in their right mind would put them on a decent frame today in preference to something better; no, they're not pretty; no, they're not lightweight; no, they won't make you the envy of your friends...

But: If you happen upon a rider on an ancient '80's ATB equipped with the OEM kit who proceeds to whip the arse off anyone on a modern with several feet of suspension at either end, then that is cool... :cool:

Equally there were a whole lot of riders who didn't care what was on their bike so long as it went round when they pushed, and got them where they wanted to go - and invariably back again!

Then they got a motorbike, graduated to a car - then fast forward 10-20+ years and they turn up on here as the biggest, elitest Brand-Snob on the Planet! :LOL:

Homer: So I realized that being with my family is more important than being cool.

Bart: Dad, what you just said was powerfully uncool.

Homer: You know what the song says: “It’s hip to be square.”

Lisa: That song is so lame.

Homer: So lame that it’s… cool?

Bart and Lisa: No.

Marge: Am I cool, kids?

Marge: Good. I’m glad. And that’s what makes me cool—not caring, right?

Marge: Well, how the hell do you be cool? I feel like we’ve tried everything here.

Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you’re truly cool, you don’t need to be told you’re cool.

Bart: Well, sure you do.

Lisa: How else would you know?

We_are_Stevo":1zwf5q8n said:

See, I bet you feel better now, please leave the £50 with my Secretary and she will book you in for another session next week.

Back