Chain skipped cog, mullered/broke rear spokes on way to work

Scougar

Retrobike Rider
At the time, I have to admit, I just laughed out loud at falling off. Doing about 15-20 mph, down shifted and started to brake for a sharp turn and guard rails... and chain jammed in between cog and spokes. Rear locked up, swung out, and I just managed to keep on running as the bike threw me off lol.

At least 4 snapped spokes, a lot of mullered one's. Tried cable tying the broken one's but ran out of cable ties lol. Was a bit risky to carry on the commute so called for backup.

(YOU WILL NEED TO COPY AND PASTE the link below.. it's not likeing the 'space' in the link)
Now on the hunt for a hybrid wheel, wondering if it's worth trying to convert to disks at the same time on the rear as I think my frame will take it. (Scott Sportster P3 200:cool:: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... =Sportster P3&Type=bike

But aside from that.. I just need a hybrid wheel lol. Was meant to save me money!!

This is NOT a picture of MY bike, but it is the same as this (it's this model):

2lax1kw.jpg

Yeah.. just wondering if it's worth doing 2nd hand disk wheels or something.

Maybe that's just too pricey for a commuter bike. (but then again, at present it's not like I can take it off road in it's current form beyond bike trails)

Any idea what mounting it is on the rear? (ISO?)

Update: Sorry it's a 2008 model, not a 2007. Have updated the info link.

Hmm.. looking at wheels, but struggling when looking for 29 / 700 wheels.

Really it's a commuter bike, but would like the option to go off road if possible with you chaps, but can't afford much. If some wheels can do disc and v-brake, then that would be awesome.

So either have to get:

a) Dual brake wheels
b) Rear Disc wheel and find a rear disk setup to fit
c) Rear v-brake wheel. Simplest/cheapest option.

Help me find something! lol. (Prob should go for option C, I just hate paying out for stuff like that when I know it could be better with disks.. but then again as a commuter bike it will be heavier with discs).

Oh and I need a spoke guard for my bike, there is no way in hell I want this happening again!!!

Yeah its iso, i can see it there on the non drive side chainstay.

Really not sure about disc and v 700c wheels, maybe just stick to v, ugrade them and get a set of offroad tyres?

I'll have a chat with you about wheel options.

Thanks for the Halfords tip, I didn't know they re-laced :) (And I need my bike for work).

Wheel is now at Halfords being repaired (Well, on friday anyway).

I will have the choice of my dads bike, or my wife's tiny one. oh dear.

Tomorrow's ride is not gonna be nice lol.

Well, picking it up in about 30 mins. Let's hope cyfa did a good job! lol.

Apparently spokes replaced and new chain, so £25ish and I assume the service.

On a different note: I needed a rain jacket for commuting as the german camo goretex probably wasn't the best for a bike. Went and got a (probably sweaty!) jacket from sports direct (muddyfox orange and black), some karimoor padded shorts, some muddyfox waterproof trousers and finally some muddyfox MTB SPD shoes. ('MBS100' I think). Obviously won't be the best quality but should help out with not getting wet, and my cycling efficiency.

Oh.. and some Shimano M520 SPD pedals and cleats (it would be rude not to with SPD shoes!!) d'oh!!!

And bike is back. Mega thanks to cyfa for even suggesting Halfords could help (it was very convienient for me and the price wasn't too bad as it included a service which too be honest, it bloody well needed.

Wheels not bad, no less true that it was before the accident.

Gear's could use a little tweaking tbh, but will check those out over the next couple of days.

Back