The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am curious how much value would an Amercian Comp Lite bike like this bring? Cheers.

00.jpg

More pictures available here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1292042#1292042

Marin Team 1991

Hi All
Sorry this is my first post but I didn't know this site existed until I asked a friend about my old Marin.

I have owned from new the 1991-2 Model Marin Team with Zolatone 2000 greay and Neon Magenta paint finish. It is largely original apart from the saddle and even has the original Rockstar tyres.

Might sell this to help fund a replacement for my recently stolen Specialized.

Any info gratefully received.

MG

Re: Loads of retro bikes that ought to go.......

some ballpark figures on the following bikes.....

1999 Sunn Urge XC UN
17" Fuji Stout lite white/blue few marks but generally very good. Head tube badge fell off, I have it somewhere
Manitou X Vert supers (red ones)
Roox bars
Syncros stem
Syncros post
XT mechs
XT shifters
Avid v brakes
Race face cranks with OEM TA/sunn rings
Have OEM wheels but they need work, has mavic crossrides
Flite saddle
Tomac attack grips

With that spec, i'd guesstimate at £250 ish, more if crossrides are in good nick.

1992 Scott Montana 20"
4130 frameset
White/blue/pink
500lx group set
Wheels a bit wobbly
Haven't looked it over in a while, it lives in the shed. I did get a silver medal on it at the 1992 English Schools Cycling Association XC championships, gotta add hundreds to the value. If only it still had the AT4 bars on it!

There is the same frame for sale on here, with seatpost, forks etc for £60 I think, and not sold for a while, so fully built i'd say £120-150 ish. Given wheels might need some work.

1991 Holdsworth Electra 20"
In very good nick last time I looked, never ridden off road
Reynolds 501 (I think)
Exage 300 LX
Flex stem with Malverns scrutineering sticker on it!
Almost identical to contemporary Claud Butler Pagan, etc but with straight forks.

£80-£100 ish. Hard to say without pics.

1999 Santa cruz chameleon frame in black 17" ish
Recent disc brake upgrade dropouts fitted, originals retained
Dent in top tube
A few rubs and scrapes as per used bike frame
chain stay mostly ok as covered by thick protector since new

Depends on size of dent I suppose. Have you fitted an adaptor or chopped the old dropouts with new? Rewelded some on?

Usually about £80-120 for these frames.

1997 Bonty Privateer frame and wheels
In a right state, was a refurb project until I found the seat tube pierced. :(
Chris king headset trapped in frame by rusty marzocchi steerer
Bonty/Chris king wheels rear hub has knackered flanges and front will need a full rebuild, nipples corroded, etc.

Frame isnt really going to be worth much requiring such a large repair. You'd want to check the seat and chainstays as well for rust. £20-30? If you can get the king headset out, which should be easy enough with a fw days soaking in penetrating oil, they go for £40 ish second hand if in good condition otherwise.

Broken hubs not worth much I'd guess. Wouldnt hold out on much hope for an offer on them.

Pics help sell, and offer postage. Id be tempted to split as well if you can be bothered with the hassle of dismantling and endless trips to the post office.

Re: Marin Team 1991

Mountain Goat":2s4gs0fm said:
Hi All
Sorry this is my first post but I didn't know this site existed until I asked a friend about my old Marin.

I have owned from new the 1991-2 Model Marin Team with Zolatone 2000 greay and Neon Magenta paint finish. It is largely original apart from the saddle and even has the original Rockstar tyres.

MG

Frame on ebay last week or so went for £75 with Manitou forks, so full bike guess at aroiund £150-200 depending on condition.

Link to ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Marin-T ... 23155c6758

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Marin Team 1991

coomber":1j4oc2rs said:
Mountain Goat":1j4oc2rs said:
Hi All

MG

Frame on ebay last week or so went for £75 with Manitou forks, so full bike guess at aroiund £150-200 depending on condition.

Link to ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Marin-T ... 23155c6758

Thanks for that.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
LetoKynes":korujlt3 said:
Hi guys, finally managed to register for an account after 5 failed tries on the validation code thing! I've always had difficulty with those :shock:

This isn't my bike, but I'm considering purchasing it as a first bike for myself (i.e. one that I myself own) as I think I've been using my aunt's for much too long already!

He wants £150 for it.. can anyone help me out, at least by identifying it? Thanks!

hi welcome to the site. as far as i am concerned a bike like this is in a bit of a no man's land. not really old enough to be desired, and sadly not the best name (it matters to some) and equally too old to be considered new. the good think is that this is the sort of era to get really cheap bikes!

persionally i think 150 is a bit much - search for used bikes on ebay and you will see better going for less. having said that if it has been looked after and it is an easy purchase it might be worth it.

if i had 150 to spend though i would scour ebay and get something older with a bit more charm, but that might not be your thing!

good luck, dave

lewis1641":20ef8gif said:
LetoKynes":20ef8gif said:
Hi guys, finally managed to register for an account after 5 failed tries on the validation code thing! I've always had difficulty with those :shock:

This isn't my bike, but I'm considering purchasing it as a first bike for myself (i.e. one that I myself own) as I think I've been using my aunt's for much too long already!

He wants £150 for it.. can anyone help me out, at least by identifying it? Thanks!

hi welcome to the site. as far as i am concerned a bike like this is in a bit of a no man's land. not really old enough to be desired, and sadly not the best name (it matters to some) and equally too old to be considered new. the good think is that this is the sort of era to get really cheap bikes!

persionally i think 150 is a bit much - search for used bikes on ebay and you will see better going for less. having said that if it has been looked after and it is an easy purchase it might be worth it.

if i had 150 to spend though i would scour ebay and get something older with a bit more charm, but that might not be your thing!

good luck, dave

As above, the newer models can be had second hand for around that amount, and this is quite a basic older model. I'd guess late 90s. I think a more realistic price would be half that, as advised above, scour local gumtree, here or ebay and you can get a much better deal for 150 notes.

it looks to me like a 2002 carrera fury, i have one which i upgraded with 16 spoke wheels and disc brakes.
the bikes are not to bad really and are built like tanks (less the weight) not really retro but for a first bike not that bad,price is a little steep.

Attachments

• my bike 004.JPG
    my bike 004.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 890
LetoKynes":1l0kcwxj said:

He says it's a Carrera "Quest" but can't for the life of me find a year where one of those looks any similar to this (those are 10+ years old I think). I'm inclined to think its an old Fury, such as this: http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/8708650/ ... ranks.html

The specs as far as he could tell me were:
Shimano Deore Front + Rear drive train
Deore piano-style gear levers
Deore Hubs
Alex 1.008 lightweight rims hard drive tyres?
Manitou competition shocks
Alu frame
Braided? brake cables
24 gears

its a 2002 carrera fury i have one which is upgraded with disc brakes and 16 spoke shimano wheels,not to bad for a first bike, built to last and not real heavy,try to knock the price down alittle.

Attachments

• my bike 004.JPG
    my bike 004.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 882
Due to a cock up (someone elses!) i may well have to shift a few p[recious things

96 Merlin Mountain

e4ef4b28.jpg

M900 XTR (stim mechs cassette,) Hope tiglide/fatso, syncros stem and post middleburn cranks, WTN speedmaster cantis, RS judy's with type 3 springs, New Flite saddle etc

GT LTS - built up as a 95(ish ) team

a12c1561.jpg

M900 XTR(sti, mechs brakes cassette & chainset), white industries hubs with gold 217's (NOS last year) wiht salsa red flip offs, new Cane creek shock with TF tuned custom bushing kit (picture taken before the shock was fitted) RS Judy SL's (NOS laste yeaqr - speed springs fitted) Syncros post, Titec Stem, New flite saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back