Skinwall tyre recommendations ?

Cossington

Retro Guru
Hi,

These seem to be getting quite thin in the ground. I'm looking for some 700c, 23 clinchers for a Pinarello Stelvio I'm building up.

There are Veloflex tyres, but these are probably more suited (at c 170/180gms) to fine weather, summer rides.

Challenge Criterium look good, but does anyone know where to get some?

Continental do some, but they have a darker brown side wall (I have a set of GP 4 seasons, and have been happy), I'd prefer a lighter shade of gum wall (I know, getting fussy, now).

Any suggestions or recommendations welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

David

Gents,

Thanks for all your suggestions and leads. I need to decide if I want to get the Veloflex's I've been eyeing up for the last couple of years (and end up not using this bike too much in the poorer weather), or to go for one of the more modestly priced suggestions.

I shall sleep on it, but my current inclination is to get a cheaper pair for use in the next few months and get a pair of Veloflex's in the spring, for use in the better weather.

Thanks again, and if anyone else wants to muddy the water further with any other suggestions, please go ahead.

Regards,

David

There's also the wider Michelin World Tour; very cheap and also available in 27in and 26x3/8.

I've also seen amberwall Deda tyres, which are probably re-badged tyres.

For a lightweight tyre, I'd go for Veloflex rather than Vittoria or Challenge.

I've had a quick price search and the Veloflex 22mm is about £30 each but Vittoria or Challenge are both about the same or more. Veloflex tyres are made in Italy and should cost a lot more that tyres (eg Vittoria and Challenge) that are made in Thailand or other low cost countries. Therefore I think Veloflex is better value and supports local-ish manufacturing.

One down side is the horrible Veloflex logo on their tyres.

Tyre prices seem to have gone up hugely in the last few years. I've still got a new pair of amberwall Vittora Open Corsa I bought some years ago, I think they were £21 each.

If you're after some nice, quality skin wall tyres at a good price try these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/specialized-t ... 1e649469ef

They're more like 22c or 23c not 25c as advertised not sure why. Had them on my Merckx corsa extra all summer, no punctures, good handling, classic look.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 6,305
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back