BoTM Nov 2011 'Made in Taiwan Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
John":1h6igdu4 said:
GoldenEraMTB":1h6igdu4 said:
Doh!
Here, I was hoping to get a bike into the contest before the end of the year. Will December be an anything goes month? If so, it gives me a few more weeks to get an entry ready; I'm sure I'll need them :( :cool:

Yup, generally alternate the contest so Dec will be free 'n' easy.

awesome...got to get at least one in this year, since I had claimed I'd enter one for every month of 2011, at the end of 2010.
"Best laid plans..."

Re: BoTM Nov 2011 'Made in Taiwan Special' - Nominations Ple

John":2jb7a7zi said:
There is some solid stuff made in Taiwan so I don't think it'll be especially limiting. It'll of course exclude some of the more high end / boutique stuff.

sinnerman":2jb7a7zi said:
John":2jb7a7zi said:
We are now taking nominations for the November Bike of The Month contest. This month is a 'Made in Taiwan Special'. I'm not convinced it's a good idea but let's give it a go.

What are your reservations John.?.

That it turn into a bun fight!

Ah i see, sorry, thick moment again.. :oops:

FluffyChicken":1pxt4by3 said:
GT-Steve":1pxt4by3 said:
This month's special topic is gonna be quite 'limiting' then.. :LOL:

I don't know

A-Pro are Taiwan. So that's Orange, KHS, Marin, ParkPre to name but a few of the bikes we should be seeing.

what about breezers ? and spe's ? I confess I am unsure about these
does it relate to the frame or to the whole bike ( meaning assembled in taiwan too ?)
by sheer curiosity, actually, what were the makes having their frames built in Japan rather than Taiwan ?

edit
found apost on MTBR ;)

"
Were some Breezers made in Taiwan?
I asked Joe about that today and he said that the Shitamori factory in Japan made the fillet brazed Lightning Flash frames, of which there were between 100-150 built in 1991 and they were all painted blue. All the other Breezer bikes from the 90's were TIG welded in Taiwan. Of course, all the frames Joe built himself in the 80's were fillet brazed. "

so most of breezers qualify ?

EDIT : nevemind for now. Noticed my bike still has the old Acera rear mech in those pictures. I'm not entering it like that.

IF there's some sunshine in the next few days, I'll take new pics and enter it in this post.

bduc61":1ixyuhi8 said:
FluffyChicken":1ixyuhi8 said:
GT-Steve":1ixyuhi8 said:
This month's special topic is gonna be quite 'limiting' then.. :LOL:

I don't know

A-Pro are Taiwan. So that's Orange, KHS, Marin, ParkPre to name but a few of the bikes we should be seeing.

what about breezers ? and spe's ? I confess I am unsure about these
does it relate to the frame or to the whole bike ( meaning assembled in taiwan too ?)
by sheer curiosity, actually, what were the makes having their frames built in Japan rather than Taiwan ?

edit
found apost on MTBR ;)

"
Were some Breezers made in Taiwan?
I asked Joe about that today and he said that the Shitamori factory in Japan made the fillet brazed Lightning Flash frames, of which there were between 100-150 built in 1991 and they were all painted blue. All the other Breezer bikes from the 90's were TIG welded in Taiwan. Of course, all the frames Joe built himself in the 80's were fillet brazed. "

so most of breezers qualify ?

Good point regarding qualification. We ask that just the frame is made in Taiwan, updated first post accordingly.

Looks like you've educated us on Breezers ;) Specisalized had a lot done in Taiwan and Japan too I believe.

I think I may give this a bash this month, I just need to find out where the bike was made first, not easy :oops:

Tazio":3j4yf8he said:
I think I may give this a bash this month, I just need to find out where the bike was made first, not easy :oops:

If the serial number is long and has an "H" in it, chances are it was made in Taiwan. I know Taiwan has a couple huge factories that produce frames for multiple brands; one of them starts with an H and another with an I, or something like that. Perhaps someone with the knowledge at hand, can post, like Kev (gm0303035);many GT's were made in Taiwan, (the ones lower than the Zaskar), and it might make it easier to identify.

GoldenEraMTB":22cvmqga said:
Tazio":22cvmqga said:

If the serial number is long and has an "H" in it, chances are it was made in Taiwan. I know Taiwan has a couple huge factories that produce frames for multiple brands; one of them starts with an H and another with an I, or something like that. Perhaps someone with the knowledge at hand, can post, like Kev (gm0303035);many GT's were made in Taiwan, (the ones lower than the Zaskar), and it might make it easier to identify.

The frame I have is a 97 going by the serial number, but the bike was in the 98 catalogue so I doubt it is eligible anyway. Interestingly the number has no letters at all but it is almost impossible to find out info on Sunn bikes from the past, and if you aren't a french speaker even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back