MacKlunker - SATURDAY 5th MAY, Postponed...

We ran timed sections on the BDW two years ago. We sync'd two stop watches to run at the same time. The finish marshall had 5 min start to set up and then the numbered riders started on minute intervals, the first starting at a pre-determined time. The finish marshall just had to record the times to determine the winner. It worked really easily.

For the record, the winner was Ed Orange.

DaveDH confirms that TK's route down the hill from the old water tank above Innerleithen is the route of the 1991 DH course. He does point out that the first few hundred meters if you take the original route is rough steep possibly boggy single track which i reckon my Twenty might not handle. However if you start from the east side of the water tank and head south you appear to follow landrover track that winds down westward to the timber road which may be more acceptable to non mtb's then pile down the track which looks perfectly rideable with some fast corners to the bottom :cool:

Dave has also ridden my alternative off the top of Minch Moor which is a great deal steeper with some very tight hairpins but does involve a longer steeper climb in the first place. If we had the energy it'd be good to try both. We are likely to be pushing and talking our way up as opposed to riding so could take our time. The descents will afterall be measured in minutes :D

Better make sure that has a freewheel hub Taz otherwise at full pelt you'll never get your feet back on the pedals, be funny though :LOL:

The Ken":otj05wse said:
Above Innerleithen - Scotlands first downhill race location? 1991 I think. (first I am aware of and that's what counts :) )
Pretty sure it was this... Kernie Law down to the B709 http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=74147
DaveDH could you confirm? the large square ruin is the bit I remember and the general flow down on that side of the hill.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=55.637 ... orm=LMLTCC

As instructed I can confirm thats the spot- West from the top corner of the big concrete box, into the trees, then right on the fire road to the bottom.

I'm up for this- do 4x12" Skyways and a set of Hope mono minis count as modern?

I didn't think there was any steepness at the top, I never made the last bend on my decent, lost it on the camber and hit a log pile.

Back to the drawing board. It's too small, but as it turns out good for doing recreations of The Shining.

Attachments

• Klunker2.JPG
    Klunker2.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 198
Back