1996 MERLIN XLM - finally completed

That looks great Kai, lovely frame. A Syncros seat post might indeed be better than the black in the pic.

Looking very good :) Silly me didn't even know that Ti spokes were available ever. Well, I know a few things but I'm not a mechanic :oops:

Merlin

Hi Guys, Looks V nice to me, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my XLM frame and forks this weekend, Bought off'n a forum member. Already have most parts for it Mainly XTR 970,I too didn't know that DT made Ti spokes, are these readily available as I have a brand new Hub and rim on their way to me. Just want to get this built and try it out.
Best regards for your build.
Cheers Kit :D

DT made those titanium spokes from late 90s to mid 00s if I recall correctly. Somewhat lighter than Revos but VERY expensive and also not so rigid.

Some updates to the build:
I decided to make the wheelset a bit lighter and swapped the XTR rear hub to Chris King Classic (black) and the Specialized rims are replaced by black Mavic X517s. Weight savings should be around 180g or so.

Now I'm waiting for that rear hub to arrive from the States so that I could get those wheels built up.

it's gonna be a light wheelset for sure! What tires are you putting on them?

ps. bought a Merlin myself too... Ahwhoohoo :D

Rio":4pdxqo8w said:
it's gonna be a light wheelset for sure! What tires are you putting on them?

ps. bought a Merlin myself too... Ahwhoohoo :D

I calculated it's going to something like ~1400g. Not bad at all.
Tires will be onZa Racing Porc IIs (original, not reissue).

The bike should be under 10 kg, hopefully well under that threshold.

Back