8 speed xtr combo difference

colinr

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have always run 7 and 8speed on my bikes which I suppose is a bit retro these days.I am building up my new bike and want some 8speed shifter/brake xtr combo units.I have been looking on evilbay and the choice is between m950 and m951 .Can anyone tell me the difference between the two , years of manufacture ,preferences, etc .I will be running these with xtr m900 front and rear mechs .Any info much appreciated.

Regards Colin.

Can't tell you about 951/950 but know loads about ratios. M900 will run with practically anything. It'll go with 8 and with 7 speed spacings. Also, the short mech will run up to 32 teeth ( but will grumble a little in first under pressure ). The old M900 run LX ten tooth M556 jockeys on 7 speed with no problem. The front mechs will go with any chainset.

Wasn't 951 designed for use with the remote barend shifter, so has holes in the shifter levers for cables to run through? thought that was about it

Thanks Pete,That is what I needed to know .Since I will not be using remote bar end shifters either model will be suitable for my requirements.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've seen them set up on bikes. The shifting is heavy and slow at the remote :?

Back