60s Vittorio La Strada

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Got hands on this 60s Vittorio La Strada yesterday. It was covered with a thick layer of dust, but when I wiped away everything a very nice example in great condition is what I saw :) Brief specs: Stronglight 49D cranks, Campag shifters and mechs including bronze Record mech, Weinmann centre pulls, Ideale seat. All original and authentic with a nice level of patina and certainly not too much of it: only the cotton tape qualifies for being replaced.

I have been told the bike belonged to a rider who raced it in the Dutch National team. I've been given his contact details, so I will certainly get in touch with him to learn more on the bike's history.

6294693518_3d1c15c74a_b.jpg

The Vittorio how it was shown in the classified.

lovin' that bike!

p l e e e a a s e e dont repaint it... when I got my Bertin I gave it a thorough clean, all the parts polished and lightly touched in any dinks then loads of wax polish... :D :D :D

stunning

Benotto tape?? :D

Oh... I already started sanding it

No, that is not true! :D Certainly no candidate for a repaint. Thanks for the kind words.

The new tape will be cotton again, but I am undecided on the colour yet.

Yes, black or alternatively orange or blue. There is some blue in the graphics on frame and fork, plus the shift lever hoods are blue.

Quick pic after the bike has been collected. I have already taken off:
- seat bag
- pedals
- pump umbrella
- cage with clamps

Of course they will all return, but after the bike got a complete overhaul.

6300577592_b9440a55cd_b.jpg

On downtube, seattube and blades you can read 'Super Vittorio'. On toptube and both chainstays the graphics say 'La Strada'. When the cage returns I will try to place it lower on the downtube, so 'Super Vittorio' is fully readable. Alternatively it could be I consider a cage mounted on the bars. Could someone tell me till when you saw bottles placed there?

It is a size 61cm c-t frame.

I've got a pair of NOS alloy bottle cage brackets and bolts for frames without braze ons if you need them...

That's nice :) ...but I still have the clamps that came off the bike and I think I would like to see them return ideally. Unless I go with handle bar mounted bottle idea.

Very nice Mel, I like that. Where is it from? With a name like 'Vittorio' I would have said Italy but I expect I'm wrong!

Bar mounted bottles were generally a 50's thing but possibly lasted into the early 60's with some riders. Only singles though, doubles went out of fashion earlier once DT mounted cages became normal.

Back